Magneto fibre drive wheel

Started by Steve_M90, August 07, 2019, 09:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

You may have to make up gaskets to get the gears in line when tightened..The mesh of the gears needs a little clearance without too much backlash. This needs to be checked at every tooth position in case the armatures do not run true.  John

Steve_M90

Tony has plenty - 20 year's worth he said!

His advice and that of David Lindsley is that the wear / failure is a result of bad design and the slightest mechanical misalignment or sloppiness in the set up. I've had two fails in three years so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

Steve_M90

Mine has a keyed metal boss in the middle. Thanks for the details. Steve

singleminded

About £22 inc postage from Tony Cooper. He has them in stock  ph.01215592405
Or I have a spare secondhand one..John

singleminded

Does your mag fibre gear have a clutch drive or a keyed metal boss in the middle..John

Steve_M90

On my M90 with Lucas MS1-4 Magneto, the fibre drive wheel is stripped of teeth. Two problems: why and replacement. Dynamo turns freely and drive wheel is solid on the shaft. It is not perfectly flat, it is out of true by +-10 thou. So not sure if this is enough to be the cause, nothing else obvious. In terms of a replacement, they seem to be somewhere between rare and unavailable. There's one in an eBay auction. Dave Lindsley doesn't have any. Any thoughts? Has anyone considered reverse engineering, 3D printing?

Steve