Speedo drive gearbox

Started by VicYouel, December 14, 2016, 10:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

John,
I think I will use this for the next Beaming spares column.... Cornucopia still sells the large and small front hub gear components.
Vic

singleminded

Norton used a reversing speedo gearbox because it was mounted on the left of the hub, that gives anti clockwise input to clockwise output. The norton box cannot be used on a Sunbeam, unfortunate as most of the reasonable speedo gearboxes that turn up are norton ones, lots of WD stock around. As soon as a seller realises that a non reversing box is needed on a Vincent the price goes up :-[..At one time you could get internals from Gagg motorcycles but i don't know if they still supply them..John

singleminded

Yes that's right clock in looking at the drive gear and clock out looking down on the output, at least it is on mine..john

VicYouel

Thanks John, I think I comprehend but I always seem to get confused!! The input drive to the box is clockwise and the output is also clockwise when viewing the output. OK?
Vic

singleminded

If it has a 433L then it needs a clock in and clock out same as a Vincent,thats what i have on mine, The direction is with the input facing you and looking down on the output. I think that the 433 needs a reversing box.
I may have a clock in and anticlock out but I would have to check..John

VicYouel

The 1930's Models use a Smith's gearbox  brake plate mounted drive which I think has a ration of 1.5:1 but comes in two varieties. One reverses the direction of rotation and  the other does not. Currently I am trying to help a member in Japan but am unable to dismember my machines to determine which is correct and I never kept notes of my rebuild
Can anyone advise please.
Vic