1932 model 9 carb specifications

Started by study, August 10, 2016, 12:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

study

I have now got my model 9 running really well. Carb settings used are amal type 29/001 with a number 4 slide, 160 main jet, 106 needle jet and the mixture screw is just under 1 full turn out. My problems turned out to be an in correct type of needle jet putting the main jet lower down. The symptoms were it was tricky to start and ran nicely up to 45-50 mph and then no more. Now it runs really well I have only been to 60 mph but it still has plenty of power available. Must of been very speedy in 1932  😊 Thanks for the advice on settings. I bought new jets etc from burlen. Next up will be sorting out the charging  cheers study

VicYouel

Silly me I must be losing it! In my spares box I have a number of brass main jets and some stainless steel marked with different numbers but most are stamped "STD" note that the 6 carb type are shorter than the 29/89 type as are the tapered needles.
Referring to my sixties list of carbs  most have "STD" main jets but some are listed at .105 (small carbs) .106 .107 and .109 (on TT types); but 108 is never specified and I have never seen a jet stamped 108.

By deduction it might be assumed that STD corresponds to .108 as no .108's are listed.

It is possible that this is a dimension as it is always preceded in the lists by a decimal point and I know my model 9's are fitted with a STD main jet.

Martin Bratby THE COACHOUSE WORKS LIMEPIT LANE HUNTINGDON CANNOCK STAFFS WS12 4PA 01543 572583  will be able to confirm.

Incidentally I have had awful problems with new needles; proper ones should be stamped with 6 or 29 and you need the 29 type. I once had some pattern ones that were a few thou out on the taper dimensions and would not work at all! Martin's stuff is always good. I have no experience with Burlen (Amal) or their main distributer Surrey Cycles.
So John the jury is out on this?

Cheers

Vic

singleminded

Looks like a 106 was fitted to most bikes, that's what is in my 1932 9A .the carb is marked M90..John

study

needle jet is the part the needle taper goes up and down in. sizes available are 105,106,107,108 & 109  I want to get a new needle and the corresponding jet as they are not in very good condition

VicYouel

My Amal data for 1933-5 specifies the 29/001 with a 160 jet and a 29/4 slide. My model 9 runs fine on one of these. Do not quite understand your question.... the needle jet is the main jet. The pilot jet setting is normally 1 1/2 turns out from fully closed

study

I have been having a little bit of carb trouble and want to start from the standard settings if possible. My carb is a amal type 29/001  size 1 3/32"  Main jet is 160 which is somewhere near I think. Does anyone know the needle jet size / model  and the slide cutaway ?  Thanks in advance of any replies....study