To balance or not...

Started by Andy Cubin, June 07, 2016, 06:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy

Well, lets put it like this, I have used adapted non standard pistons  in old bikes over the years, notably my 350k4 race bike and a rover piston in my panther M100, I never even weighed them, I know of people that have had to use an alloy piston instead of an early cast iron one and I don't think I've heard of them going down the balancing route, I could be wrong but personally I would just put it back together, I doubt you'd notice the difference

singleminded

I think that I would try it first Andy.
Dynamic balancing was explained to me once and it involves splitting the flywheels,weighing the piston-conrod etc. Then rebuilding the flywheels with a matching weight,balancing and then rebuilding the whole plot. It was not a very cheap process.
The other thing to think about is how fast do you ride? and would you notice the difference.
I'm sure someone will have a much better idea than I do, lets see how many different answers you get,,John

Andy Cubin

Folks,

I have had my cylinder relined and a new piston supplied.  This piston, including gudgeon pin and clips is 100g lighter than the original.

There is now a question of balancing - do I:

1.  Reassemble and see how she runs as is?
2.  Break her down further, split the case and get the flywheel/conrod/piston assembly balanced?

All advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Andy