Tick over speed

Started by Andy Cubin, June 12, 2016, 08:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Andy, I have looked at your videos and you certainly do not have an adjuster on the carb body.
You do have an inline adjuster which I would use for removing any slack , but I noticed you appear to have a threaded adjuster in the twist grip.
I would use that to adjust the tickover. Personally I like to have a little slack in the cable with the bike ticking over but I cant see any other way you can do it..John

iansoady

The main problem with using the cable adjuster is that it will vary as you go from lock to lock - and IIRC this is an MoT fail (although of course your bike is exempt).

I am puzzled by the lack of a throttle stop on your carb body. Is it an Amal?

wessex_man

If you have no throttle stop on the carb and have to adjust the throttle cable fit an inline cable adjuster to the throttle cable this will help you make the adjustments easier.

There's a few on ebay for example eBay item number:271989992524

iansoady

There should be a throttle stop on the carb - looking back through your video postings I see I mentioned it at the time. Without one all you can do is to use the cable adjustment which is not brilliant.

ISTR that some of the later racing carbs (TT / GP)? didn't have throttle stops but then they weren't expected to idle.

As Vic says, the advance / retard should make a significant difference as in my video (not nearly up to your quality):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sr3_CZckM0I

VicYouel

Hi Andy, do you retard it to start it and when ticking over do you advance or retard it? 
Vic

Andy Cubin

Lovely Folks,

My model 8 is back together and starts - woohoo!

The tick over speed is too low - she stalls unless I manually keep the revs up with the throttle.

Solutions please...

Very grateful

Andy