1921 Sunbeam 3.5

Started by Anji Mehra, June 01, 2016, 08:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anji Mehra

Quote from: VicYouel on June 02, 2016, 10:03:40 AM
My 1921 Sunbeam catalogue offers  the "Lucas magdyno lighting outfit" for an extra 20 guineas!

Vic

Thanks Vic. Am trying to locate one
Anji

Anji Mehra

Quote from: huw warrington on June 01, 2016, 03:16:58 PM
Hi Anji,

The only electrics  should be the magneto to provide the ignition for the spark plug. The lights on machines from 1921 were generally acetylene lamps, where a carbide generator provided the gas for a flame.  These were usually after market fitments. e.g. Lucas.   Electric lights didn't become widely available until the late 1920's.

Looking at the picture you posted in an earlier topic, it looks like you have a later magneto fitted, with space for a dynamo on top (which is missing).

Huw.
Hi Huw
Thanks for responding. I guess will have to locate a gas light with generator. Had one on my 1923 BSA 500 SV
You're absolutely right as the mag on the bike is from a 40/50's Lucas mag/ dynamo unit, minus the dynamo. This was done prior to the bike coming to me & Iam trying to locate the original mag, carb etc,
Take care
Anji

VicYouel

My 1921 Sunbeam catalogue offers  the "Lucas magdyno lighting outfit" for an extra 20 guineas!

Vic

huw warrington

Hi Anji,

The only electrics  should be the magneto to provide the ignition for the spark plug. The lights on machines from 1921 were generally acetylene lamps, where a carbide generator provided the gas for a flame.  These were usually after market fitments. e.g. Lucas.   Electric lights didn't become widely available until the late 1920's.

Looking at the picture you posted in an earlier topic, it looks like you have a later magneto fitted, with space for a dynamo on top (which is missing).

Huw.

Anji Mehra

Hi

Cant find any electrics on my bike. Did this model come without lights etc or are these missing on this bike?
Thanks
Anji