gear change pivot

Started by study, May 16, 2016, 02:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

study

Thanks for the offer - I am in the process off getting a new lathe and it will be one of the first things on my list to make.  :)

singleminded

If it is a clearance on 1/2 inch ie the bolt just slides in it may be worth a helicoil. if it is much bigger then has the stub the lever pivots on disappeared?
If the pivot is still there then get a bush made with the correct thread in it and press fit it with assembly grade loctite, it won't come out then.
if you need a bush made I can make one once i have some reasonable dimensions..John

study

Thanks for the information - I will work out the best way to mend the tank bracket as it has been drilled out quite large.

singleminded

http://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-dies/20-TPI-CYCLE-PITCH%20?product_id=1000
The thread is 1/2" x 20tpi. this link may be useful if you don't have one.. no need for HSS if it is only for 1 job or in ordinary steel.You will need a tap wrench as well.sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but i don't know what experience you have ..John

study

I have had a better look and it does fit in a bracket on the tank. I will need to make a new pivot and sort the bracket as it must of been drilled out as some point. Does anyone know what size the thread would of been ?

wessex_man

You should also have a spring washer behind the lever.

singleminded

My '32 9A has the pivot in the tank,the bolt just screws in..John

study

VicYouel

study

Can someone please tell me how the gear change pivot fits - mine  is a nice domed screw head on the lever side then just a plain shaft poked into the frame bracket and nothing beyond - did it have a thread and nut securing it ?