telltale seals

Started by singleminded, April 18, 2016, 05:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

I'd never thought of that, Thanks..john

iansoady

I had to completely manufacture a telltale for my Model 10 and used PTFE to make seals. No leaks (at least from there) so far......

The white bits in the pic:

singleminded

I made a new plunger and tried it out on the bench in a spare pump and it now pops out better than the one on my bike.
the nominal bore in the pump housing appears to be 0.375 3/8ths inch. the old plunger I took out measured 0.370 ,5 thou under.
The interesting thing on my 9A is that for a long time the telltale would not pop out but the pressure was still at 25psi on No2 tap setting(gauge in the tank).

VicYouel

Me too.... I have just messed around with bits of leather; an O ring may restrict the indicator fully opening unless it is a good fit. Some people re-machine the bore and make an oversize indicator to get a good fit.

The spring is also an unknown and it all needs to be right to ensure the indicator opens and oil therefore reaches the crank.

singleminded

just been checking bearing suppliers sites, not found anything yet.
I think I'll go to the shoe repairers tomorrow to see if I can get any offcuts that may do the job.

wessex_man

yep we make ours out of leather, several washers together.

singleminded

Has anyone found and easily replaced seal for the early 1930's telltale.
I think the original is most likely leather and i most can make one if neccessary..A modern seal would be better if they can be sourced..John