Oil feed to rocker box

Started by Blackphantom, March 25, 2016, 08:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

Yes the M8 relied on mist going up the push rod tubes. My 1935 M8 (first beam) had no direct piped feed. I periodically put some graphite grease on the valve guide stems to aid lubrication. I'll see if I can find a photograph (pre digital camera). The 9A I had of the same year had very worn guides, which were replaced and again put some grease on the guides. That did have an oil feed from the oil pump timing cover to the rocker box with a kink in the feed pipe to allow for expansion. Got a photo of that and also a series 2 model 9 engine. see below.

Model 8 engine now added to post. I seem to remember that there were some outlet tubes to feed the mist to the valve stems from the rocker box.

phutton

According to the 1935 catalogue, the rocker box is lubricated by oil mist passing from the crankcase up the pushrod tubes, and the rocker shafts are lubricated by grease gun. However, the 1934 catalogue describes the "Rocker joints and inlet stem" as being "lubricated from the crankcase", but the description in the 33 and 35 manuals is identical.

I'm not sure what the oil pipe to the inlet valve stem is all about, but I would have thought it was more needed on the exhaust side.

Paul

Blackphantom

After rebuilding the engine of my 35 Model 8 after a catastrophic oil pump failure could someone please tell me whether this model would have originally had an oil feed to the rocker box. I have an oil pipe going from the rocker box to the inlet valve guide, but no feed from the pump to the rocker box. The exhaust valve has no lubrication.

After studying photos and books model 9's have this feed, but the 250 model 14 photo on this site dose not. Photos of the 37 M8's also show this oil feed.