Kickstart tip

Started by iansoady, January 15, 2016, 02:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iansoady

I found replacing the kickstart on my Model 10 something of a trial. Quite apart from the spring making a bid for freedom and embedding itself in my hand, I found it impossible to hold the primary drive end in place both snug against the inner cover and hard against its stop. The shaft, complete with quadrant, kept moving as I tensioned the spring. So I came up with the idea of using a suitably padded G-cramp to hold said quadrant in place:

Still losing huge lumps of flesh but at least the shaft is staying where I want it. The picture shows it with the primary drive not yet fitted - it may be possible to do it with clutch etc in place but apart from several trial fits I'm not quite at that stage yet.

Note also the "P" on the end of the shaft so I don't swap it end for end by mistake......

No doubt someone will show me a better way.

Purists like me (who think the load should come on the thick end of the pin) will point out that the cotter pin is fitted the wrong way round - this seems to be the way it left the factory as it just won't go in the other way. The kickstart is the same.