Horn / dip switch?

Started by iansoady, November 25, 2015, 03:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

No problem here's a layout on one done a few years back.

These days I also take a earth wire up to the bars for the horn as the return path through the frame can be insulated by the paint on the handle bars, risers and forks. That extra wire makes It more reliable. You can just make the extra wire out in the picture.

As you say they are not expensive normally you can pick them up at autojumbles in the UK for less (£4-6).

You can also see I also prefer black cable ties to secure the wires. You can get the rubber ones but they don't last and soon perish.

iansoady

Yes those look quite good and cheap!!!

wessex_man

Normally use a dipper switch like this one ebay number 331714012974 fitted to the LH side of the handle bars and a separate push button for the horn on the RH side ebay no 261630691952 you can get 7/8 or 1 inch versions.

iansoady

Quote from: singleminded on November 25, 2015, 05:08:39 PM
My attitude has always been 'get what you can make fit for now'.

I agree and will probably go for this one if a "correct" item is unavailable.

Your mentioning bakelite is a good clue in my search.....

singleminded

Just double checked the switch and found it has a centre off, so not a dip switch. SORRY

singleminded

If you want to separate the horn and dip switch , I have a bakelite dip switch for 1" bars..John

singleminded

My attitude has always been 'get what you can make fit for now'.
Better to have a bike on the road than sitting for years in the shed waiting for that last elusive if not unobtainable part to complete it.
If you have 1 inch bars I'm sure that a switch is available, somewhere.

iansoady

I'm not sure what style I should be fitting to my 1931 Model 10 (even if I could find the correct item). Never having seen an original one in the flesh, would something like this be OK? (this is for 7/8" bars but I expect I could get it to fit.....