Cable lubrication

Started by Andy Cubin, November 05, 2015, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybeard

Well done on getting the old girl sparked up, Andy.
I use one of these for cable oiling, but only if it's an unlined outer cable.
http://www.frost.co.uk/hydraulic-cable-oiler.html
I've had it for years. Incredibly messy but very effective. I use it with SAE20 fork oil which is just what happened to be lying around. I don't even recall where the bottle came from but it's going to last me for years  :-\
Of late I've been making my own control cables using bicycle brake cable inner and outer (not brake or clutch!) which is available by the foot at any decent bike shop. This tends to be nylon lined nowadays and is very smooth. It can be lubed with a teflon type spray like the GT85 that Ian mentioned. There is talk that if oil is used it can cause the liner to swell and make matters worse.

Steve
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

iansoady

Not sure what he means by cable clamps....

I use the old plasticine funnel and hang the cable up method although it does mean you have to take it off. WD40 is useless as a lubricant but excellent as a water dispersant which is what it was designed for. I use GT85 as a general lubrication / protection spray, and 3 in 1 for cable lubrication.

Although I tend to change cables on a new (to me) bike anyway.

Andy Cubin

She starts!

...and I had a wonderful morning with a near neighbour going over my 8 to determine what needed doing over the winter.  He observed that the throttle cable felt a little gritty and this along with the other cables could do with lubing.  He mentioned the modern clamps gripped the cable hosing so tightly, they could easily fracture and said that the old method (Scott?) was much better.

Very little information available so, I am looking for advice on lubing equipment and lubricant (will WD40 do?).

Grateful in advance...

Andy