Crank oil seals

Started by Waterman, December 27, 2014, 07:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

I don't think you will find any seals just  bearings in the crank case. The oil is pumped through the main bearings on the late twenties bikes or directed to the mains on the earlier ones and splashed about.

Lots of oil shouldn't get up that far up unless the engine sumps. Then you wont kick it over, turn the flywheels over and start it. Remove the oil sump plug and drain the oil out.

On the total loss bike the oil is burnt and spat out via the exhaust pipe. It the bore is new not much gets burnt and it can gather in the bottom of the crankcases.

On the circulating oil types the oil returned to the oil tank at twice the rate of the feed.

Hope this helps
WM

Just noticed you have a 1928 model this should have sunbeams first mechanical 'blister pump' and is total loss system and oil is fed to main bearings via hole in crankshaft. Also where Is your oil leak coming from?

Waterman

Thanks Vic for the reply. The oil is leaking whist not under pressure as its stood on the bench. I agree that oil seals may have been few in the 20's but before I strip her down I want to know what to expect rather than be surprised.

I have spoken to a chap in the VMCC today and he mentioned something like asbestos string; not sure if they have this in stock at B&Q??

I will speak to our Guru "Old Father Brazendale" if I can't find any further info out. I seem to have a book on Sunbeams but feel as it may not cover 1920's bikes.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Andy plus my beloved Sunbeam.

VicYouel

I could be wrong but I very much doubt that there are any conventional modern style oil seals. The thirties bikes have a simple thrower on the drive side where it enters the chaincase.

If you are leaking to much oil then it is probably more to do with the oiling system and crankcase excessive pressure. Unfortunately I am not familiar with twenties oiling systems.

Wessex man will undoubtedly have more knowledge so await his observations!

Vic

Waterman

Hi folks, apologise if this has been covered before; just before I start a strip down can anyone advise me if I need to break the engine or can I replace my oil seals from the outside?

Model 1; 350cc SV 1928

Ta Andy