Oil pressure

Started by SteveBullock, July 26, 2014, 09:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveBullock

Hi Vic. It's a 1938 model and doesn't have the 'Tell tale' but peering into the oil tank while the motor is running reveals a good swirling!  I'll check out the top end though to be sure.   

VicYouel

Steve,

What year is your machine? As long as there is a good oil flow from the return side then enough oil is going through the bottom end assuming there are no internal leaks on the pressure side where the mag chain case interfaces the crankcase shaft oil way.

Therefore,I guess that the main issue is whether there is any lubrication to the top end...... my early thirties model 9's confuse me. There are different ball valve springs at the top as well as two different springs controlling the oil indicator for the 1932/5 period. I get a pressure over 100psi on one that then drops to 40-60 when warm although I'm still uncertain whether the lubricant is sufficient for the top end as there are no real leaks.

The other bike indicates a much lower pressure so am currently calibrating different gauges. Also have I got the right springs and need to dismantle the first bike's oil feed for comparison.

Vic

SteveBullock

Morning Gents.  Just a question on what are normal oil pressures?  My Model 8 starts off at about 25 psi but it drops right down to 3/4 psi after a few miles. The engine runs well and the plug looks good. Currently using Morris 40 oil, recently changed.  Should I be concerned?
Steve.