Two Stroke Oil in Petrol Mix

Started by Iansmart, July 11, 2014, 02:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iansmart

Thanks Huw. I make that just less than 30ml, so I'll go with that.

Thanks again

Ian

huwparsons

Hello all

Back from work now and just measured the oil squirt and Best and Lloyd pump capacities.
They are both 1 fluid ounce which makes sense.

Hope this helps

Huw

VicYouel

Ian,

My 1930'ish handbook recommends 1/2 gill per gallon of fuel for ordinary engine oil.

An imperial gill is 142.065371 millilitres ..... but I expect you knew that.

cheers

Vic

Iansmart

Huw

That would be very kind of you if its not too much trouble.

Ian

huwparsons

Ian

my owners guide states that the oil squirt supplied in the toolkit is the same capacity as a full charge of a manual Best and Lloyd oil pump. I'm afraid I'm at work on the Shetlands until next week but can measure for you then if you like.

Huw

Iansmart

Huw - what do you mean by a squirt? a cap full; say 10ml per tank? I think this what you do Vic if I remember correctly?

Thanks

Ian

huwparsons

Hello all

I've been putting a squirt full of two stroke oil in the fuel tank of my model 9 each time I fill up, only because it says to do so in the original owners guide!
It doesn't seem to have done any harm and probably helps the guides.
I've had no problems with oiling up the NGK BP 7 es plug.

Cheers

Huw

VicYouel

Hello Paul and Ian,

Ian's  bike is fitted with a small "flap" breather in the crankcase behind the mag chain housing like the 1932/4 models.  The 1931 parts list does not show one??? There is however no oil feed to the top like the 1930/1 models which should have grease nipples on the rocker shafts.  Ian I think we need to give some thought to making sure the grease system works to the rockers....... and maybe blocking off the breather? 

I have never considered the point Paul makes.  Just been studying my parts lists and now wondering whether I have the right spring in my oil indicator on project number 2 which changed in 1932.

There is quite a lot of chat about adding two stroke oil on the yahoo sunbeam forum. It can never do any harm except too much could oil the plug and provides (possibly) a degree of tank rust protection.

Confused Vic

phutton

You do get some lub into the rocker-box. It is blown up the pushrod tubes from the timing chest as an oil mist, and any excess is blown through pipes onto the valve stems. there is no crankcase breather. If you use SAE 40 oil and run with the regulator on the oil tank set at position 2, you should have no problem.

Iansmart

Hi. I wonder if anyone has any views on mixing 2-stroke oil in with petrol? My 1931 Model 9 has no top-end lubrication at all, and I will be riding the 100 mile route at the West Kent run at the end of the month. Thanks. Ian