Clutch Stops

Started by VicYouel, June 19, 2014, 08:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Nick,

Many thanks .....why did I not spot that! For the record the book suggests screwing them in till they touch the plates and then turn them back one and quarter turns.

I like Paul's recommendation better!

Vic

m90

Hi Vic

The Pitman's Book of the Sunbeam has a paragraph on Clutch Stops - it's the 2nd last paragraph of Chapter One. That applies both to the 1932 edition and the 1958 edition.

The method works for the adjusters on my 1925 Model 6. However I don't know whether or not the later models have the same arrangement.

Cheers
Nick Shelley

VicYouel

Thanks Paul...... where is the adjustment mentioned in the manual.... is it in the Pitman's version? I cannot find it in my 1932 handbook?

Your method sounds eminently sensible and much better.

Vic

phutton

Hi Vic,

The clutch stops are there to enable first gear to be selected. Once you are on the move, they really don't do much. The method I use (slightly different from the manual) is to pull the clutch lever right back to the bar and hold it there with string or somesuch. I then screw the stops in until they just touch the plate. You can check this with a feeler gauge. Release the clutch lever, and screw the stops in a half turn each. Secure the lock nuts.

Regards

Paul

VicYouel

In the outer primary chain case of my thirties model 9 there are two clutch stops. Somewhere in the literature I have seen some instructions for adjustment but blowed if I can find them.

Would someone put me out of my misery and explain how to adjust them and perhaps comment on the effectiveness of the stops in smoothing the gear change? I have always left them almost fully extracted out of harm's way.

I am prompted to ask this by another member because I was unable to answer.

Vic Youel