Residue in petrol tank

Started by Steve_M90, May 18, 2014, 12:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M90

I'm pleased to report that the issue has been resolved. I tried "Flexible Sealant remover" but this made no difference. Therefore I went back to Marine Clean but added 100 off 20mm chipboard screws into the mix. 4 applications (each consisting of 20 minutes of swilling around) was sufficient to remove all of the remaining material. I have come to the conclusion that this material was applied during manufacture as a secondary sealant over the welds and internal features. The tank is now shiny and clean inside. Next stoop the acid clean...

shorrog

Hi Steve
Apologies for the delay and I expect that you have this sorted by now. However I thought I would share my experience with my petrol tank.
I had a similar gummy residue after the bike had been laid up for a few years, what I did was put a couple of handfuls of pebbles with a pint of paraffin and then rocked the tank for some considerable time. This seemed to remove 90 % of the residue. I then treated it with the Frost product and touch wood all now seems ok.

Some one else suggested putting the pebbles and paraffin in the the tank and then just leaving it in the boot of your car as you drive around, seems a good idea for flat tanks.

shorrog

Hi Steve
You should be able to post a photo but there is a limit of 3 Mbyts per post. I have just attached a screen shot of what you should see when making a post with an attachment.  Let me know if you see something different.
Graham

Steve_M90

Thanks for all the advice. I have started the process using Frost POR-15 chemicals. I have cleaned using the degreaser and cleaner. I have some areas of clean metal but also some areas with a brown substance. It seems to be around the fixtures and the baffle at the front. I have some photos that show it as best as I can. Any thoughts?