Spark plugs for Model 9

Started by Paul Davy, April 01, 2014, 10:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

Paul,

How are you getting on with the problem?

Vic

wessex_man

My plug of choice is a Lodge CB3 its a 3/4 reach plug but you can't get these very easily. The Green Spark plug company have had some KLG ML50 manufactured I have used these and have found them to be O.K. and at £6.50 value.
http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/klg-ml50.html

As mentioned a good plug is only half the story. A reliable mag crisp sparking mag is essential for reliability and performance. Have a weak one  and the bike wont pull the skin off a rice pudding!   

singleminded

I am using an AB-7 in my M9A.
I had my magneto overhaul completely a few years ago and hot starting is not a problem.
I have had problems with the magneto on my Vincent recently and sent it for repair it came back and only lasted 21 miles before being returned..What checks ok cold is not always what works hot..It really sounds like a capacitor problem..John

Paul Davy

Hello Vic,

Thanks a lot for your quick and detailed answer. My magneto was checked by technician the last autumn (just before the damages concerning the crankshaft) and, at this time, everything was ok..But may be a new control may be usefull. I will do that and try spark plugs quoted by Graham.

Best rgards.

Paul

Paul Davy

Hello Graham,

Thanks a lot for you kind and precise answer. By the way my magneto was checked and appeared in a good shape..but !
Kind regards.

Paul

shorrog

Hi Paul
I recon Vic is probably right I had a similar issue with mine poor starting and it was only solved when I got the magneto refurbished. However for info I am using NGK AB7 and Champion D16 both of which appear to be ok, They are a good colour after a run.
Graham

VicYouel

The symptoms you describe indicate the magneto may be the fault......... have you had it refurbished? Although it sparks the voltage may be nowhere near high enough and it may be breaking down under heat...... check points and gap and pick up brush.

Vic

Paul Davy

Hello,
I told you on the forum about the problems I met with the crankshaft of my Model 9 (1932). This problem is solved and after re-assembling, the engine fired, for the first time of its new life, one week ago. Of course the unpleasant noise has disappeared and everything seems correct. However, despite the right tuning of the magneto and timing ignition, I have some difficulties to start the engine. It's rather easy when it is cold but more difficult when it's hot. I am not sure to use the right heat range for spark plugs. With an insert in the plug hole, I use modern plugs like : NGK B6 ES ; NGK B7 ES ; Champion N5 C, or more ancient plugs like Lodge 3HLN.
Is it a relevant choice ? Please, could you advise me about appropriate plugs for this machine ?
Thanks a lot for help. Best regards.

Paul Davy