Model 6 pistons

Started by mike bockh, February 27, 2014, 09:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike bockh

Quote from: Davetom on February 28, 2014, 07:19:02 PM
Hi Mike, it was myself that emailed you via the M6 group. I discovered that Norton 16H pistons are virtually the same except for being 79mm. My M6 had a very worn +30 piston , and after confirmation from the M6 group that the 16H piston is a common mod, I've put it in for a rebore at a garage in Bilston recommended by Les Hobbs. One chap said he'd put an 80mm piston in his , so hopefully 79mm isn't too near the limit

That's good news Dave. Hope it all works out weel for you. Mike

Davetom

Hi Mike, it was myself that emailed you via the M6 group. I discovered that Norton 16H pistons are virtually the same except for being 79mm. My M6 had a very worn +30 piston , and after confirmation from the M6 group that the 16H piston is a common mod, I've put it in for a rebore at a garage in Bilston recommended by Les Hobbs. One chap said he'd put an 80mm piston in his , so hopefully 79mm isn't too near the limit

mike bockh

Hi chaps and in particular members on the Model 6 Interest Group. Some one sent me an email recently asking about oversize M6 piston alternatives. I was going to reply but the message disappeared from from inbox and I don't know who it was. I replaced my M6 piston some years ago after mine broken up on the return run to Fordhouses on the Tester's Run. I found a brand new 77mm piston for £10 at Newark and as I inspected it the stall holder said it was either Sunbeam or Volkswagon. It so obviously was not Sunbeam but it was complete with rings and pin so I bought it. The skirt needed trimming and the small end bearing refitting to match the gudgeon pin but it has been fine ever since.

If the person who sent out the inquiry wants to call for a chat please do on 01243-585137.

All the best for the forthcoming season.

Mike