What Petrol ?

Started by Gaz_95L, June 19, 2013, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Petseal is a disaster with Ethanol fuel.
There are now available various sealants that are 'Ethanol proof'(time will tell)
I got mine years ago from Hawkshaw motorcycles but I'm not sure that they still sell it.It is a 2 pack WHITE sealant and you can see how far it spreads inside the tank.
Other good reviews are for SLOSH and also POR tank sealants. POR pruducts availble to look at and buy on Frost's website..Google Slosh and you will find it easily..John

VicYouel

I have read many articles over the past few years on this subject and Total was the favourite brand for not using ethanol last year in the south east. Their policy varied over the year. The addition of 5% ethanol to top grade fuels from all suppliers varies throughout the UK and there seem to be no guarrantees for the future as they head towards the 10% level in accordance with worldwide agreements.

There is a problem with ethanol incompatibility with some fuel lines and carb components that is fairly easily solved but the biggest problem I have encountered is with "petseal" in my tanks. It peels away and produces a black mollasis substance in the carb. Petseal polluted fuel under combustion crystallises in the cyclinder head and caused valve seizure in one of my bikes last month.

My advice is do not use any form of tank sealant as you never know what the fuel manufacturers are going to add in the future. Also remove petseal from your tanks before you hit problems.

Because ethanol atracts water and can therefore cause corrosion my advice is to add some two stroke oil to your tank on a regular basis.

Some people I know with petsealed tanks use them very sparingly and drain the fuel afterwards...... a ticking source of future problems I would say.

Now what stuff was in the old "National Benzol Mix" in the fifties I wonder?

phutton

I believe the same is true of the Esso 98 Octane.

P.

shorrog

hi Gary
I have been wondering the same thing, looking around the internet I found this on a BP site

BP ULTIMATE OCTANE 98 minimum
BP Ultimate is the highest octane retail fuel that BP has on the market. It has an octane
rating between 98 and 100 and does not contain ethanol. I

Unfortunately this was from their Australia site so there is no guarantee that the same applies over here. However having said that there seem to be quite a few people saying that the ultimate fuels from the various suppliers don't contain ethanol.

I was also wondering about the fuel additives that you can get eg http://www.millersoils.co.uk/automotive/classic-fuel-additives.asp
does anyone have any experience of these?

Graham

Gaz_95L

Hi,

I know there has been a lot of talk about ethanol in fuel and the affects it can have on historic vehicles. I normally get my fuel from a local Murco Petrol station which I believed used 0% ethanol in their fuel.

Having read a new report recently I found that Murco Petrol stations in the midlands and further north get their petrol from non Murco fuel depots. Meaning the petrol will be at leadt 5% ethanol, buggar ! Although I will be asking on my next visit to confirm this. If anybody else has information regarding ethanol free petrol please let me know.

Anyway to get to the actual question. I understand the Super Unleaded typically has 0% ethanol, therefore can I use Super Unleaded in my 95L.

Thanks, Gary.