Engine cush drive

Started by Graham9, June 01, 2013, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham9

Yet another heat, tweak and bash and off it came. Thank you for your help. Now to change the big end...

Graham

Graham9

Thank you for the picture, it's interesting to see what the correct tool looks like.

Another tweak on the puller, a bit of heat and a whack on the puller bolt tonight and it still wont budge. It has been suggested a 3 legged puller would be better, so if it's not off by the weekend I will buy another puller or make a tool like the original. Only problem with that is not knowing what thread it is.

Regards, Graham

sunbeam8990

Hi Graham I have added a picture of the cush drive assembly to the gallery. Here you can see the tool that was used to removed your stuck drive which sits on a taper shaft. It would be fairly easy to make a tool which will draw the drive off the shaft (hopefully!)

Graham9

Thank you for the advice, I tried that but it still wont come off. Why should it stick like that, is there a taper?

Graham

phutton

Try this: put load on the drive centre using the two-legged puller (it need not be too much) then give end of the bolt of the puller a sharp tap with a hammer. This is usually enough to break the bond between the centre and the shaft.

Good luck!

Graham9

Hi,

I'm having to strip the engine of my 1930 Model 9 but have got stuck getting the cush drive centre off the drive side mainshaft. The book I have mentions a special tool, but I have tried a standard 2 legged pulley extractor and heat without success. Am I missing a trick somewhere?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Graham