Cam shaft lubricant

Started by Thomas, December 02, 2022, 02:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hi Oggers,

I got information from Chris Odling and others that engine oil does not protect the surfaces sufficiently while running the motor in. It simply floats away while you assemble the motor and wait for the first ride. Assembly lubricant sticks much longer on the surfaces and, hence, delivers this protection. Somebody else should describe details.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

oggers

What's wrong with simply using the appropriate engine oil?

Thomas

Yes, you're right! I have two options: Liqui Moly LM47 Long Life Grease or 48 Installation Paste. I have LM47 in my shed and will go for it. I'll let you know if my motor breaks down... ;D
Cheerio, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Russ

you'd do better to google it yourself from the country you're in just type in the google search bar "Engine assembly lubricant" in your own language I'm sure they'll be a fair few pop up.....it's just very thick sticky oil  and stays put while you assemble an engine

Thomas

Thank you, Russ! Do you know a lube which is available on the continent. Delivery from the UK takes weeks and costs significantly more.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Russ

you could use Millers assembly lubricant or similar....some links below

Millers assembly Lubricant

Lucas assembly lubricant

Thomas

Hi all

when installing new followers and cams one should lubricate them with a cam lubricant instead of running them dry. What do you recommend? I found Liqui Moly LM47 but I am not sure.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)