Flat Tank Stove enamalling

Started by Russ, November 11, 2022, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Indeed, I missed that you want to "recreate"...  ::)
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Russ

LOL...Thomas you've slightly misunderstood....the picture in the first post isn't my Tank unfortunately......if my tank looked like this I would be very, very happy indeed and most certainly wouldn't be re-painting.....I was using this as an example of what looked to be patinated brass plating under the Black top coat which I think looks fantastic....this is the look including the wear that I want to replicate on my rusty badly painted no gold lining tank

still looking for a recommendation for a tank restorer / painter and maybe a contact

Thomas

A completely other thought: I find the present situation simply beautiful and personally would waive any additional painting. I mean, this is an almost 100 year old motorcycle and the polished part looks great. It's original and in line with the other brass parts. 
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Russ

Quote from: phutton on November 24, 2022, 04:07:53 PMWhatever else you do, don't put a flat tank, or a pre-1930 saddle tank, through stove enamelling. It will fall apart!

Not sure about electrolysis, but I can't see it causing damage. If in doubt, phosphoric acid (Metal Prep) from Frosts. This stuff will give a very nice surface for black paint if you soak zinc plated fasteners in it for about 10 minutes.

P.
I hear what you're saying Paul......but it must be able to be done they did it back in the day.....all you need is a sympathetic and skilled Stove enameller who understands the required heat input enough to melt /cure the enamel but not the soft solder....I've been reliably informed that Black enamel melts / cures at 120 degs but soft solder melts at 183 degs so rpoviding the Stove Enamaller is in at around 120 degs everything should be fine............shouldn't it?......the secret is I'm guessing is finding a skilled Stove Enamaller.....I'll need to brood on this but your advice has been heeded

phutton

Whatever else you do, don't put a flat tank, or a pre-1930 saddle tank, through stove enamelling. It will fall apart!

Not sure about electrolysis, but I can't see it causing damage. If in doubt, phosphoric acid (Metal Prep) from Frosts. This stuff will give a very nice surface for black paint if you soak zinc plated fasteners in it for about 10 minutes.

P.

Russ

question.......does anyone know how de-rusting a Soldered construction Flat tank petrol tank is affected by Electrolysis method......would like to know before I proceed and the tank falls to pieces....LOL.......cheers

Russ

where Sunbeam tanks ever made from Brass or brass plated before stoving? my tank is made of steel......here's another question.....does anyone know if there's a vertical baffle plate in the tank separating the fuel side into 2 halves between where the filler opening is and the outlet for the fuel tap the baffle plate has holes that are about 9/16" diameter here's a photo of it in my tank? my tank a 1927 model 9 was used in 'The Southern Trial' in 1928 by the then owner 'Richard Thomas Green' maybe it has something to do with that anyone got any clues

Russ

thanks Graham.....caution is the order of the day......I wonder why they soft soldered instead of brazed....perhaps the gauge of metal was too thin?.....the tank n the picture sure looks like it's either made of brass or been brass plated or something.....I would have thought brass plating would have stopped any rust occurring especially on the inside of the tank.......what do you think?

shorrog

I am no expert but I think you are right to be cautious. The tanks I believe were soft soldered so too much heat and you could be left with a lot of bits. You can easily test to see if the tank is brass with a magnet.
Graham

Russ

so todays questiona are......

• is it worth me trying to find a Stove Enameller who can re-Stove Enamel my Tank Black without melting all the joints and the tank falling apart
  • what material would an original '27 model 9 have been made of would it have been Brass or steel
  • who is the best Tank restorer to do this or who have you used

the reason I ask question 2 is I want to recreate this look below on my Tank....see where the bikes tank below has been polished over 90 years the edges have worn through to what to me looks like brass....anyone have any thoughts