Crankshaft movement

Started by Russ, August 08, 2022, 06:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

thanks chap....has anyone got any pictures of a '27/28 flywheel assembly crankcases etc I'd be interested to see what I'm dealing with before the engine dismantling starts......cheers

wessex_man

This doesn't sound good and could be expensive Russ. The 1928 flywheels were riveted up. They can work loose and come out which leads to knocking and eventual failure. This could result in having to have the flywheel assy reconditioned, new mainshafts and mains etc. I'd strip downand inspect to be sure and be on the safe side.

Russ

Thanks Thomas......keep your thoughts coming everyone.......cheers

Thomas

I am with Claudius, something might be wrong with the bearing seat. The bearing itself can be worn but not asymmetrically as in your case. Even if a nuisance, I would dismantle the crankcase and check what is going on there. If you do that, I recommend to rightly install new bearings. If you need advice for dismantling there is a descriptive text in the club website. But only for a 1937 Model 9.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Russ

thanks Klaudius......keep the thoughts coming cheers

klaudius

Good morning
I can't speak good English but I'll try anyway. I assume the movement is from cam side? I suspect the bearing seat has a horizontal crack. So what is caused by the weak point of the cam bearing bulge.
Unfortunately only alkes disassemble and repair helps.
Greetings from Germany
claudius

Russ

quick question.....crankshaft movement on a Sunbeam model 9.....I'm not talking about end float (the amount of movement horizontally in and out) I'm talking about movement front to back....there's no movement up and down but I do have a fair bit of movement front to back....which seems strange to me I'm guessing it could be chronic bearing wear (timing chest side) or could it be wear on the crank pin.....either way there shouldn't be any movement front to back......anyone got an opinion or seen this before......as always your opinions are greatly appreciated.....many thanks in advance