Valve cap

Started by Thomas, July 01, 2022, 07:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

The hardened caps from GS Valves arrived. They were so kind to send them as a private parcel! So, no trouble with extra tax and customs charge. :)
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

VicYouel

Thomas
That is very useful and I did not know that!
Vic

Thomas

GS Valves will make me four caps for 10 pounds each. Surprisingly, they quickly sent me a drawing (attached). Does the club know about this? Could be interesting for spare parts supply.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Thomas

Yes, it was hardened since I drive the machine for about 5.000 miles. I discovered this very problem after I worked on the rocker box and valve gears.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Was the valve cap hardened before it was fitted..If it was just ordinary steel it would wear quickly.

Thomas

I am in need of new 3/8" ID valve stem lash caps. Where can I get them?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Thomas

Hi all,

after a 200 miles run I noticed excess valve clearance at the exhaust side. I then discovered that the valve cap is significantly worn (see picture). Does somebody have an idea why that can happen? I followed Chris Odling's recommendation the lengthen the push rod. After I have installed a 2.5mm ring I now had to add another 2.5mm to get a nearly symmetric force application onto the valve tip. I have no idea what might have happened.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)