Re commission 1934 model 9

Started by Peter 100, November 19, 2021, 07:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Re telltale
I have bought some 3mm thk leather, Cork sheet and a set of punches. Made a couple of leather washers first and with a spring found in my bits and pieces reassembled and fitted the telltale.
With a bit of spring shortening the telltale comes out under load and goes back in with up to now no oil leak!!
I have the cork waiting in the sidelines just in case.
Cheers for all your advice it has paid off.
One job sorted.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Klaudius
Thanks for the advice very useful information. Like you say keep trying different materials to achieve the best result will pay off in the end. I will try some Cork as a starter.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

klaudius

The poetry is mostly rock hard. Either it is so worn out that it doesn't hold anything back or it catches the piston jamming. I started several attempts with felt, leather, oil-resistant cork. Several thin 0.5 mm cork flakes have proven to be best. Got 14 pieces in there. The previously oiled installed. Piston glides very nicely, no oil leakage.
Best regards
Claudius

Peter 100

John
I have found a couple of suitable springs and it seems to work well ie pull it with a pair of pliers and it slides back. When I eventually get it fired up will have to check to see if it pops out under pressure. Looking up the hole in the pump it looks like it has to push out at least quarter of an inch to allow the oil to flow.
Many thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

It should look like this.
Check the fit of the plunger in the pump body it should be a close fit but be free to slide in and out. I have used a section of throttle spring from a type 29 or 229 carb for the spring you don't need a complete one, it takes a little experimentation but you'll get there..The original seal is a leather disc that fits in the bottom of the cover, just tight enough to allow the telltale to move in and out. It is held in place by the spring.Use the slide bars at the edge of the pic to see all the parts,I seem to have uploaded a largeish file..John

Peter 100

Thanks for the reply yes the oil drain through the pipe does looks the way ta.
About the telltale I have taken it out and split it. I have two parts the casing and the plunger the casing is full of a rubbery compound which is holding the plunger solid not allowing for any movement. I have read there should be a spring and maybe a seal??
I will try to attach a couple of pictures
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

Hi Peter..
i just disconnect the pipe from the bottom of the sump return pipe to drain the sump..On my bike the filter, large nut or rounded off nut if it has been mullered, won't come out so disconnecting the pipe is all you need to do..
Usually if the tell tale is standard it only just pokes out past the long housing with the hex at the bottom and only about 3/8"- 1/2" when the engine is running.
I would undo the fitting and check the plunger out if I were you. 

Peter 100

Hello to all,
I have recently acquired a 1934 model 9 and being new to vintage bikes would be grateful for a few pointers.
The bike was restored in 1998 and has had limited use since and I understand that it has not been running for a couple of years. The engine cranks over.
There was only about an inch of oil in the tank I assume it has drained into the sump?
Also the telltale is sticking out about an inch but will not move how far do they normally stick out?
There doesn't seem to be a sump drain is it a case of undoing the lowest oil pipe and draining off from there?
Any advise.
Thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙