Packing washers

Started by Thomas, November 19, 2021, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Tanhk you, Paul! Then I just leave everything as it is.
All the best, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

phutton

Looking at the description of these washers, I don't think they are for sealing. The thick washer 13655 is only listed for the Light Solo and M8/M14 for 1937, and is probably used for alignment purposes. The same washer is also specified for the Light machines for 1938, but inside the chaincase. The thin washer, 1234, is specified only for the Light Solo and M8/M14, but is used in a number of other applications  from 1927 to 1935 mostly as the washer for the stud and nut securing the gearbox to the frame. definitely not a sealing washer.

P.

Thomas

Well, let's both be happy that we don't need to speak chinese...  ::)

The picture is from my overhauling manual. It does not mean that I know that there should be a gasket. I simply found one when dismantling the motor and installed a new one (plus Hylomar) on my way back. But if there are gaskets mentioned in the spares list...

Thanks a lot again for you input!
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Rick Parkington

Genau, Thomas!
I'm lucky that you speak very good English to make up for most of us being very poor at speaking German! But there are always difficult words - especially when they come from many years ago!
I agree, probably these 'washers' are for inner to outer chaincase and inner chain case to crank case. I had a 1937 250cc Sunbeam years ago but could not remember how it attached to the crankcase; from your picture it looks like a gasket was fitted there.
All the best - und frohliche weinachten!
Rick

Thomas

Far away from a bad answer, Rick! As a German native I am happy for any new wording hints. I mean "packing" and "joint washer" could be similar to "Bretzel" or "Schlickrutscher" for an Englishman.  ;D

Nevertheless, in contrast to other information there should then be a gasket at the primary case, indeed. And I then wonder what "inside case" and "outside case" means in detail. I mean, if there are gaskets to be installed, there should be one at the outer cover and one between the inner cover and the crankcase (see pictures). But I am not sure. 

1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

Rick Parkington

Hi Thomas,
not a very good answer I'm afraid but in old books and manuals paper gaskets were often called 'packing' or 'joint washers' so my guess is that these are chaincase gaskets.
Cheers Rick 

Thomas

Hi all!
In the 1936-37 parts list I find for the front chaincase N494 "packing washer (inside case)" and N495  "packing washer (outside case)". Can somebody tell in detail what these washers are?
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)