Hello from a new Sunbeam owner

Started by iansoady, July 15, 2015, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

The 1931 spares list has some good illustrations of Model 10 parts, but not assembly drawings unfortunately. It will at least enable you to see what is common to other models, and what is not (most of it I'm afraid!)

The 1931 manual also has sections devoted to the Model 10, and I think you would fine those useful.

You can order both via our on-line shop.

iansoady

Many thanks Vic.

I'm in Birmingham (Hall Green) so a little distance away.....

I'm off to the VMCC library today to see what I can discover, armed with the article index kindly developed by Michael Ryan. I have the Bob Cordon Champ book which devotes a whole paragraph or so to the Model 10, and an electronic copy of the Pitman manual which is equally reticent.

Nobody said it would be easy.......

VicYouel

I like the original headlamp and horn.  No idea where you live but I can show you all the bits for the clutch if you want to pay me a visit and get some advice......my address and phone number etc are given in Beaming.

Sunbeams are addictive! Also the parts list gives the wrong impression there is much commonality among parts over the years which lent the designs well to "batch production"

iansoady

I've recently purchased a 1931 Model 10 which is in generally good condition although missing a few parts and suffering from a badly slipping clutch. I've stripped down the primary drive and found the engine has good compression but the clutch problem seems to be due to a previous owner having welded the backplate, splined drive and kickstart ratchet (which according to the spares list should be separate items held together with 3/16 screws)  together resulting in the backplate not meeting the cork inserts in the chainwheel. It would be nice to find some original parts but I think I can manage to rearrange what's there to work a little better.

I understand that the Model 10 was only made for a couple of years and perhaps wasn't too popular but it seems to be a very nicely designed machine although maybe without the cachet of the Model 90s etc. What amazes me is that looking through the spares list, so many of the parts are unique to the model. The tooling and pattern costs especially at that period must have been enormous and must have caused great financial difficulty.

This is my first foray into Sunbeamland - indeed into pre-war machines in general - although I've always had at least one "classic" British bike in the shed for the last 40+ years. Mainly Nortons with brief excursions into BSA, Triumph, Velo etc etc.

I'd be very pleased to hear from any other member with a similar machine or knowledge of the Model 10 so we could exchange notes / sources for spares etc.

I attach a couple of photos.