Paper Gaskets

Started by Russ, September 15, 2023, 05:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Russ

Quote from: singleminded on September 16, 2023, 07:14:09 PMHi Russ.
No gasket listed in the 1927 parts list for your bike, but if the mating faces are not good then you may want to fit one.
there's nota lot of oil in the cases, just enough for the chain to dip into at it's lowest point.
https://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/
Have you seen Sean Kelly's site listed above, it can be a great help.
John

Thanks John....I have the parts list manual but couldn't see anything listed but thought I'd better ask as it is I've used a smear of Permatex Ultra Grey as I didn't have any seccotine to hand (fish bone glue)....LOL....a question for you...I need to drain and refill the gearbox with lubricant I'm going to use Castrol EP0 semi fluid grease like the old Castrolease with a splash of XL30 do you have an idea of amount
my '29 Norton SA gearbox took about a 1lb to refill from drained ......what's the best way to do this....the only way I can see to do this is through the connector the oil pipe from the 2 way valve connects to...or is there a better method...cheers

singleminded

Hi Russ.
No gasket listed in the 1927 parts list for your bike, but if the mating faces are not good then you may want to fit one.
there's nota lot of oil in the cases, just enough for the chain to dip into at it's lowest point.
https://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/
Have you seen Sean Kelly's site listed above, it can be a great help.
John

Thomas

Me again, too.

Yes, there should be a paper gasket for the primary case (at least for my 1937 Model 9). I bought a large 0.5mm sheet and cut my gaskets by myself. I also apply some Curil but don't know if that is necessary. Considering the solid case out of cast aluminium you can also apply a modern sealant like Permatex, I suppose. But I have no experience with that. And it's not period, anyway. 

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Russ

me again you might be able to tell I'm nearing the finish line.....Paper Gaskets......does the Primary chaincase have one the clutch dome cover has a paper gasket...well mine has one whats left of it......not to bothered as I'll be using a smear of Permatex Ultra Grey.....thought I'd ask......cheers