1931 Model 9

Started by oggers, February 08, 2023, 11:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Quote from: oggers on February 08, 2023, 02:09:43 PMRuss

Makes sense - though I did not take crankcase apart, barrel/head only came off. How much oil does the sump take? I guess I could squirt some in at the oil return union?

I put 250ml to 300ml in the bottom of the crankcase of my old Norton I take the crankcase breather out and use a big graduated syringe to shoot it in...don't put more than that in otherwise you might find it hard to start and it'll smoke more than trooper

oggers

Paul

Yes indeed. As an aside, on my Velos fitted with the deeply flawed pressed steel chaincase, filing those with ATF/Oil/lube is a somewhat different expectation - they being total loss oil systems. 

phutton

Don't forget the Gearbox and Front Chaincase. Semi fluid grease in the GB, and ATF in the CC - just enough to touch the lower chain run.

P.

oggers

Russ

Makes sense - though I did not take crankcase apart, barrel/head only came off. How much oil does the sump take? I guess I could squirt some in at the oil return union?

Russ

if you assembled the engine using engine assembly lubricant which is designed for this very scenario you'll have nothing to worry about it's like thick and very sticky like glue liberally smearing it over moving surfaces and in bearings is the way to use it......if not you'll need to make sure the sump has a slightly over full capacity sitting in the sump ready for the crank to pick up immediately I'd stick a slug of oil down the bore not too much though on my 1929 Norton as well as using Millers engine assembly lubricant I also filled the timing chest with oil (Castrol R40) through the tappet blocks (after removing the tappets and pushrods obviously) so the cams could pick up immediately as well don't forget to oil / grease your rockers and valve tops.....mind you don't the 1930 model 9's have enclosed rockers anyway..whether or not that's the right way to do things I don't know but it worked fine for me

oggers

Chaps

Nearing the end of the resto for the model 9 and as such, wondering whether there is some sort of procedure for first starting the engine. I am somewhat nervous of allowing it to run when there may be no oil flowing!

I was thinking something like

Obviously fill up oil tank
A few drops of oil down the bore via plug hole.
Remove tell tale and squirt a bit of oil in the pump. Replace.
Ensure oil supply flow orifice/regulator is at 2 or 3 and open.
Lube anything external - valves perhaps?
Kick over a few times with plug lead removed  - to get a bit of oil in there.
Replace plug lead and go for a start - watching the tell tale

Thoughts welcome