Gearbox and Primary Chain Case oil

Started by phutton, December 06, 2021, 07:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Thank you all for the comments.
Felt and tallow seems to be the agreed method so will give it a try.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

hennie.nijhuis

Hello;

I followed the advice of Rick and sealed it wit Felt drenched in tallow. Until now it does not leak .... but you never know

greetings Hennie

klaudius

Natural felt is best, not these new plastic copies. I got my felt from an eco shop. You get shoe insoles in different strengths there. Out of it can be made with good seal.
greeting
Klaudius

Rick Parkington

The gearchange shaft is a common leakpoint and the nut, as observed, is a gland seal: tightening squeezes the seal onto the shaft. I confidently predict you will find it is already fully tight and needs a new seal...but just be grateful it isn't a 3 speed box which needs to be completely stripped to replace it!
Many people advocate an O ring here but it was originally a felt seal, which I prefer.  O rings are great for their intended purposes but unless you had one specially made for this job I think you'd find felt more successful. Felt (and it must be soaked in melted tallow to make it seal) is much more pliable than an O ring and tends to mould itself to the required profile where o rings are usually not very compressible and easily stretched or split when forced.
But you'd need to make your own felt washer so maybe an O ring is worth trying! If you want to  go  for felt, you can buy sheets of thick stuff from Autohose in Stoke on Trent and tallow I got from Ebay, it's still used for lubricating cables through conduit. No wonder mice have been known to gnaw at domestic wiring...
Cheers Rick

Peter 100

Paul
I must agree maybe too much. Will drain a bit off.
By the way here is a pic of underneath. Looks like the oil is coming from the nut and running along.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

8 Fluid ounces equates to 0.237 litres, so I suspect that, with the grease already in there, you have too much oil in.

P.

Peter 100

Paul
I will have a look tomorrow with regards to if there is a the gland nut (or not).
Somebody in an earlier post said fill untill it comes out of the square headed plug on the side of the gearbox.
not knowing how much grease was already in I added about a third of a litre of 140.
maybe too much??🙄
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Paul
Put some oil in and seem to have a leak from where the gear change shaft goes in is there an oil seal there?
It drips about four or five drips a night is that excessive?
I think the owner before only used grease so I had not seen any signs of a leak before.
or is the dripping par for the coarse 😁
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

Peter 100

Paul
I have some of this..
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Paul
Thanks for the info I have some Morris 140 so can use that. As for the chaincase when I checked it was empty so will add some oil in there also
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

phutton

Two points about the gearbox and primary CC oil:
1. On  no account use and EP oil in the 'box - if it leaks onto the clutch plates you will get clutch slip. A straight 140 oil, or semi-fluid grease are both fine - I use the latter.
2. The best oil for the chaincase is ATF (automatic transmission fluid). You just need enough for the bottom of the lower chain run to dip into the oil.

Good luck!

P.