Magneto / tower seal

Started by Eddie Berrisford, April 29, 2020, 06:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaudius

I only drive my 600 1932 Longstroke with 50 oil. The engine has been given new valve guides and new piston rings. I drive a lot and long distance. In my experience, modern oil is not very suitable, apart from the lack of an oil filter. The old gear rim oil pumps are not designed for such a thin oil. It is also noticeable on the oil pressure gauge. With the 50 oil, everything stays amazingly tight for such an old girl. I change oil every 500 miles. Oil is not expensive and can be changed in a few minutes. The machines in my opinion were then, due to the design, adapted to the existing oils. Claudius

Eddie Berrisford

Thank you all for the prompt replies.  Claudious, you describe exactly the seal that I was thinking of making; the clue is the single screw under the hole which must have been put there for a purpose.  And your English is excellent, far better than my school German!    Re. Small hole.  The engine has now been completely overhauled and much solidified crud removed from the oil ways and passages. It is amazing how much neglect these old engines can take as it was obviously running in this condition until something finally failed with the bike causing it to be dismantled and then forgotten.  Modern oils are so much better now at keeping this crud in suspension making it even more important to change the oil at regular intervals., especially as dust, dirt, and water can enter the engine via this large, unsealed hole for the magneto sprocket shaft and small hole into the timing chest. I am planning to make and fit a felt seal as the fixing screw is already there.. Eddie.

Thomas

It seems that for different years/machines the design somewhat deviated. I also have no seal and there's no thread to install one. And in reality I never had any leaking problem here.
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

klaudius

Hi
It used to be a slightly curved aluminum plate with felt inside. If the originals are to be seen in any fragmentary form, they are mostly in unusable condition. I have copied the part, my friend can handle the machine well. Inside is a loose felt ring that will move when the chain is tightened. In itself, a slightly thicker aluminum plate is enough. If this felt is well covered with fat or oil, it does a good job. Greetings from Germany. And please show me my bad English ... Claudius

singleminded

Nope ,No seal..unless there is a lot of oil getting past the pump pinions you shouldn't get much oil in there..the other thing to look out for, on a lot of timing cases there is a tiny hole at the bottom of the case under where the inlet camshaft comes through..make sure it's clear.

Eddie Berrisford

I am reassembling a 1929 model 6 Longstroke purchased in a dismantled condition.  There is a large hole in the top of the chain tower for the shaft of the magneto sprocket to pass through and it must surely have some kind of seal to keep oil in and dirt out.  Can anyone help with a photo or sketch of this seal?  All advice is welcome!