1932 rocker box elbow

Started by singleminded, November 30, 2019, 07:26:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

klaudius

Glad to help you, the ball is 6.33mm. Greetings Claudius

singleminded

nice picture Claudius..just what I needed to see..Is the ball 8mm/5/16"?

klaudius

Hi. I'm also in the process. 9A 1932.Somewhat cleaned, feather somewhat straightened, new ball. Greetings Claudius

klaudius

Were not the 9A offered in 1932? My 1932 9A and its replacement motor both have a ball and spring in the upper box. The Eureka oil pressure gauge is controlled in front of the valve. The instrument does not need a spring or balls to work. In my one Lion 600 1932 there is no such thing. I suspect that if instrument indicates too much the ball / spring valve in the head is not properly assembled, something is missing or something jams. If possible, a photo would have helped as a comparison. The pump builds pressure on what can be read on the display. In any case, a check is advisable, dry can break something quickly against. Forgive my english. Claudius

singleminded

Hi Klaudius..My 9A has not ball or spring in the rockerbox fitting and I have oil pressure of30psi,,all good there. This is the early type of fitting that had no ball or spring, this was normal I believe. It changed according to the parts list later in 1932.
I did not have the fitting to match my 90 engine and got one from Paul Milner so I set the 90 up in the same way. The tell tale would not work correctly as this fitting needs the ball and spring to make the telltale work correctly, I found this out from talking to Chris Odling yesterday, I always thought the ball and spring only worked as a non return valve to keep the oil pipe from draining down.
So I need to know if the spring is a thin one, which is what I think it should be, that goes in from the metering jet end or a short thicker one that just fits behind the ball..
I am experimenting with an external pressure gauge with the elbow fitting not screwed into the rocker box to see what results different springs make.

klaudius

Hello. I do not quite understand your problem. A 9A 1932 has a ball and a spring in head where the oil goes in. Do you have any problem with the 9A or the Model 90? Greetings Claudius

singleminded

Hi All..
On my 1932 9A I have never had a spring and ball in the elbow that fits in the rockerbox cover and where the pressure gauge fits,I believe it is and early one that doesn't list the ball and spring..
I have set my 90 engine up the same way but I'm having trouble with oil pressure being too high.
It looks like the telltale is not lifting enough to get a good supply of oil to the bigend, the cause appears to be that the spring and ball are missing.
I assume the ball is a 1/4" one but is the spring a short wide spring to fit in the recess of the elbow or a thinner long spring to slide in past the metering jet.
Once I sort that bit out I need to find a spring with the right pressure to make it all work, but first things first..
Thanks in advance for any info recieved..John