Lion Model 6-Model 7 1932

Started by klaudius, November 27, 2019, 03:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

The manual says 7/16" = 11.11mm, so 12mm would be a good starting point for experiments

klaudius

A thought game ... is a preliminary is actually dependent on stroke and compression. If I transfer the values ​​to the diagram it could fit the whole with scarcely 12 mm. New gasoline factor excluded. The experiences regarding ignition point (also 9A 1932) would have interested me very much. Please have gracious with my bad English. Claudius.

phutton

All the 500 and 600 sidevalves have the same stroke, 105.5mm. There is an error in Bob's Book where it lists the 600 Lion stroke. You can check this in all the 1930s catalogues. The only difference affecting the ignition is the length of the flame path relating to the bigger bore, so I would expect the 600 to need a little more advance, but not much.

klaudius

Thank you for the information, synonymous for the 9A. I can also use the info as well as a model. Although all the then available Büher models to 1932 but irgenwas overlooked. Will correct the ignition. Please forgive my poor English. Thank you from Germany. Claudius

singleminded

My 1932 Sunbeam book states 7/16" for all Lion models..The only difference between the 500 cc and 600cc Lion bikes is that the 600cc has a stroke that is 0.5mm longer..
I find that I need less advance on my 9A 600cc than is stated in the book..Our petrol is much better now and burns faster than it did in the 30's and less advance is neccessary..I would start with the timing at 9/16" 14mm and use the retard lever to find the best setting for running and then use this setting as full advance..If you retard much beyond TDC then starting may be difficult..John

klaudius

My problem is that I know the setting of the 500 Lion from the manual but not from the 600 Lion. Setting the ignition point on TDC is in itself a good thing but with that the long stroke was good but did not reach the desired / indicated speed. First with 12 mm before TDC it went well, now I have 14 mm before TDC. The Lion is 63 M / h but if that is the right attitude? I would have interested in what you prefer for attitude. Claudius

VicYouel

I think you are trying to ask the timing distance to set the magneto for a 500 and a 600.  I have usually found that if the the points are set to open at top dead centre (TDC) when the magneto is fully retarded then this usually works well.

Vic

klaudius

Hi. Have a question. Unfortunately, the original manual gives no information about it. A 500 Lion ignition should be 7/16 inches. That's about 11-12mm. Well what am I doing with a 600 Lion? Year is 1932. Greeting from Germany.