Vent pipe

Started by Thomas, October 20, 2019, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hi all!

Fortunately I also have a BSA C11 and unfortunately I've forgotten that. My main parts contributor is Dranganfly and I once ordered a rigid oil pipe with a gland nut. See

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/1033-rigid-plunger-oil-tank-c12

and

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/component/hikashop/product/13800-

Yesterday I tested it and it matches well. Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

VicYouel

I have been searching for sometime for these BSP pipe connecting parts with no success...... a kit including thick wall copper pipe would make a useful addition to our club shop. My source for many years has given up making the BSP fixings on his capstan lathe which is  currently for sale. I know Mark Baker supplies them but they are expensive.

singleminded

I was looking for some today at a bike jumble and could not find any..I pick them up when ever i can find them..If I find some more i will let you know.

Thomas

Yes, John, but the problem is the english thread gland nut I don't get here.  :-\
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

You should be able to get 5/16" or 8mm copper tubing from any refridgeration supplyer near you..John

Thomas

Very well! The Green Spark Plug sells gland nut, nipple and pipe.  6.70 quid for the material but 21 for shipping to Germany... gosh! Need to find a reasonable source.
Thanks to you both, anyway, and cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

The thread is 1/4" BSP same as the ones that are on the pump unions...John

klaudius

Hi. This is not a professional drawing but I think it helps a bit. Enjoy building. Claudius

Thomas

That confirms my assumption, Klaudius, that there should be a pipe at the union. I see a thread and wonder why it is there. I am also lost with the information about the 32-34 parts list. Where can I find reasonable information about the pipe? What's the thread size?
Also cheers from Germany, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

klaudius

Hello. The overflow for oil tank runs slightly offset left in front of the rear wheel. Somewhat hidden and getting pretty bad at disassembly. My 1932 7A and 9A have those still on. Greetings from Germany.

Rick Parkington

My unrestored '32 9A came without one fitted; I made one up that is aimed at the rear chain - but I don't suppose anything actually comes out of it!
Cheers Rick

singleminded

'there ids one listed in the 32-34 parts list..I never had one and have run the bike for over 10 years without a problem..Where the pipe runs to I'm not sure but you need to position it so that it cannot drop oil in front of the rear tyre :-[ :'(

Thomas

Hi all!

I have no vent pipe from the oil tank base. There is just the union. Is that normal or should there be a pipe connected?

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)