Beaded Edge Tyres

Started by beaumy, April 09, 2019, 09:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaumy

Hello All,

Longstone Tyres are expecting a consignment of 26 x 3 Ensign beaded edge tyres in on Tuesday.

beaumy

Thanks for the advice.

I can't help but agree with you. It certainly wouldn't look right with a more modern style of tyre, it would take away a large part if it's period appeal.

I have requested notification when they come into stock so I
will sit tight with my fingers crossed.

Thanks once again.

wessex_man

I'd stick with the tyres the bike was designed for. I'd reserve some from Vintage tyres. Did this when the last consignment came in and got some. Also it pay's to think at least a year in advance these days where beaded edge are concerned there just are not the choise and suppliers around. With modern compounds they have less of a shelf life as well.

beaumy

Thank you for your reply.

They have been out of stock for quite a while now and I rang them again yesterday. They are hopeful that there will be fresh supplies in 3-4 weeks but cannot guarantee it.

So really I was looking at my options given that we will be well into the riding season by then and my existing tyres are very badly perished and unsafe to use.

Would WM1x20 rims be a suitable alternative fitted with 3.00x20 tyres?

The machine in question is a 1920 3 1/2hp fitted with stirrup front brake.

Kind regards,

Pete

wessex_man

Vintage Tyres list the Ensign 26x3
https://www.vintagetyres.com/shop/tyres/beaded-edge/ensign-beaded-edge-universal-413
Ok it's out of stock but get in contact with them to find out when it's back

beaumy

Hi Folks,

The 26x3 beaded edge tyre situation is looking a bit bleak at the moment.

Should the drought continue I guess that I  will have to change my rims.

Is this a viable option?

Many thanks in anticipation of salvation,

Pete