Magnet in oil

Started by Thomas, October 19, 2019, 06:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klaudius

Hi
I also installed such magnets on my 7A and 9A 1932. Oil tank and both gear bolts are equipped with it. 1x year I change the transmission oil. Engine every 500 km.At the beginning, minimal abrasion accumulated in gearboxes (new bearings) .The whole thing was rather magnetic mud-very soft. Miterweile not much depends. But better than nothing ... greetings from Germany. Claudius

kbryt

Use brass picture hanging wire.

Thomas

And here it is, a 4mm Neodine magnet in the drain plug. It doesn't even need to be glued. Not perfectly centered but who cares. :)
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Thomas

It's a 1937 Model 9. A small magnet glued to the drain plug sounds like a very good idea. Thanks a lot! Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

What year is your bike Thomas?
If it is a saddle tank model you could fix a small neodine magnet to the drain plug with epoxy glue.
If you want to dangle a magnet through the filler then use some copper wire to hang it from.

Thomas

Hi all!

In the last Beaming issue there are valuable "Hints & Tips for Autumn" from Geoff Brazendale. Wit respect to the oil system he recommends to put a small magnet in the system. I now wonder how. I could put a magnet on a string and hang it into the tank via the inlet. But this with the risk that the string brakes. What could be an alternative?

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)