1932 instrument panel

Started by singleminded, January 24, 2019, 11:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Thank you Claudius..
That is what I wanted..I have now found a lamp holder and switch to complete my panel..John

klaudius

Hello. My name is Claudius. I'm from Germany and I'm new here. I own 3 Sunbeams Bj.1932. Here are the photos you want from my panel. The cable is certainly not original but has been hanging for a few decades. If you have questions about Deteil it is not a problem for me to disassemble and take pictures. Please forgive my english. greeting
Claudius

VicYouel

John

I think this tank panel stuff would make a very interesting "snippet" in Beaming.... fancy composing soemthing with pictures?
Vic

Rick Parkington

But surely the bike's completely unrideable without a dash panel light...!
I was really lucky when I got mine it was the most comprehensively knackered bike I had ever bought up till then but it was very complete and original - and had enough original paint left to go back together that way. The only serious missing bits were the detachable section of the back mudguard and the front stand. To this day it has a Rudge rear mudguard half and a BSA front stand, nobody has ever complained and it's done thousands of miles reliably!
More power to your twistgrip, John!
Cheers R

singleminded

It's been on the road for a few years now,,I'm not much of a bean counter when it comes to having a bike on the road that's not standard..Better to have the 'Pickers' berate me for non standard bits than not ride it..
But now it's a bit more 'Standard' ::)..John

Rick Parkington

Superb,  John; that's just what I was trying to describe - at least the memory is still working!
Looks like you've got no excuse not to have the bike on the road this summer now then!
Cheers Rick

singleminded

Today on Facebook Angus Wakeman posted a picture of the inside of the instrument I needed..I found in one of my boxes of unknown stuff the complete bulb holder I was looking for,,GREAT..
I got a nice tank from Vic Youel recently and with the panel he gave me what appeared to be an incomplete panel switch, having now seen the picture the switch is complete but dissasembled---but not anymore ;D ;D .

singleminded

Thanks Rick..I got very lucky, my brother found me a Jaeger 8 day clock in a flea market in Lyon for 27 Euros. Works and looks great..John

Rick Parkington

Ha ha, well, I'm supposed to be selling the old 9A (having bought the flat tank 9 I always wanted ) so I'll make sure I do it before then - although that will probably still fit the ten year remit!
Talking about it has jogged my memory and I'm pretty sure the socket is attached to a nickelled ring, like a big washer, that goes around the oil pressure gauge and is sandwiched by the bridge-clamp thing that holds the gauge into the panel. I'm sure I had a problem with getting it to earth and had to solder on a separate lead.
Just on the same subject, when I got my bike it had nothing in the panel apart from the light socket and the busted switch. I managed to get an old (but working) Eureka gauge with a broken glass from a car jumble for a couple of quid (result) and a broken car 8 Day dash clock for a fiver - but even if I'd got it fixed, the clock was too deep to fit in the tank recess.
I found a cheap accessory car clock of the right diameter in a motorists shop with a white face and modern lettering and was delighted to find that not only was I able to fit the original 8 day face (I think I glued it on with a couple of dobs of silicone gasket) but the plastic hands were identical profile to the original, I just had to paint them white. The battery movement pressed neatly into an old car ammeter housing that fitted the panel and the result looked perfect and meant I didn't have to wind it up whenever I went out on it.
Sometimes you get lucky...
Cheers Rick

singleminded

Thanks Rick..Don't go pulling it apart just for me..Sometime in the next 10 years will be fine..I've not bothered about it but have always wondered what was supposed to be in there..I did make/modify a switch to fit the slot for my brother in laws bike but he had no light either.

Rick Parkington

Hi John,
Yes there is one on mine. It's there to illuminate the oil pressure gauge and clock, I remember it has a single filament SCC type bulb (like a winker bulb but with the small glass). I can't access it without undoing the oil pipe so hope you don't mind if I wait to see if anyone else has one on the bench they can photograph for you. Happy to dismantle it if you're stuck though!
The switch is externally identical to the one for the dash lights on a Morris Minor 1000 BUT the sods made the terminals on the back slightly different and if I remember right it didn't fit without fairly drastic modification and it soon fell apart. But it looks exactly right. Maybe if I have to pull it apart to take a picture I will try again!
Cheers RIck 

singleminded

Hi everyone..Does anyone have a photo or the details of the lamp holder that fits in the oval instrument panel for a '32 to '35 Model 9 or Lion.
The tank that came with my 9A has the panel but no switch or lamp holder and I have not yet bothered to fit one, it is also not obvious what the lamp holder fixed to let alone what it looked like..Any help would be appreciated....John