Magneto for 1927 Longstroke

Started by Brian Petheram, December 27, 2018, 11:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Petheram

Thanks for the heads up - I will contact the Magneto Guys about the conversion. It may be a life saver as stationary engine mags seem to be more common and are often available for less money that motorcycle mags.
I hear what you say about the MDB1 - when I took my later magdyno for overhaul the guy spontaneously launched into a tirade about how lucky I was that it wasn't an MDB1 as he wouldn't touch them. I believe it is something to do with the magnets being incorporated in the main body but I can't recall precisely. Having said that, my MDB1 is working fine and even the 3 brush dynamo section charges well. A big obstacle to keeping it is that the 1930s Miller headlamp looks so wrong, as well as being destined for my 1937 Rudge. That means I would have to look for a 1920s Lucas headlamp and they seem to fetch the thick end of £500 if you can find one and invariably they are dog rough. Even replicas are £400+; so that, coupled with the nice lighting set I have on the shelf is leaning me towards changing it all. If I could find a nice Lucas SS47 or SS49 headlamp I would probably just change that and keep the MDB1.  The dilemma then would be whether to keep the Miller tail light (which looks very period) or fit a Lucas electric rear light. The horn will definitely go!

wrx03ppp

Hi
The Magneto Guys have castings and can convert the square ML
to one with advance retard assembly.
I took the CK1 off my 1928 M90 and fitted a 1929 MDB1 with full period electric lighting kit as it happens. Depending on exact date an MDB1 could have been correct for your bike although a 1929 one  is unlikely to be original. Cost of restoring an MDB1 will make you weep if you can find someone to take it on.

Brian Petheram

Thanks Paul, very useful information. I have one bookmarked on Ebay Australia that doesn't seem to have any A/R mechanism at all so I'll forget that one!
cheers
Brian

phutton

Yes Brian, CK1 is correct. The main difference between the motorcycle unit and those for stationary engines is the advance and retard mechanism - external on stationaries. Sounds like a good plan to replace the mishmash - you will have no trouble selling the MDB1!

Paul

Brian Petheram

Hi all,
new member here who has just acquired a 1927 Model 5 Longstroke. It currently has a a Lucas MDB1 magdyno from 1929 with a 1930s Miller headlight, 1950s Lucas electric horn, and a converted Miller acetylene rear light. I am leaning towards removing this mishmash and fitting a Lucas gas lighting set and bulb horn which I have available. The main issue would be replacing the magneto (the headlight will be perfect for my 1937 Rudge project :)) ).
I have obtained copies of the parts book, catalogue, and manual but they don't specify the correct type of magneto. I suspect it is a square ML type CK1 as the catalogue photo looks like it has a square mag and there is an article on the CK1 in the Beaming index on the MSC&R site. Am I correct in thinking I would need a CK1? I have been Googling and found most mentions of ML CK1s are related to stationary engines - would these be different or would any ML CK1 be OK? Hopefully moving on the Lucas MDB1 would make it all cost neutral and leave me with a more correct motorcycle and I don't anticipate riding it at night. My only reservation is that the current magdyno works so well - first kick starter and it even charges!