Valve Guide Material

Started by VicYouel, December 22, 2018, 02:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbryt

Thats him Vic, a real character and a fund of knowledge.

VicYouel

Would that have been Frank Pearce a local bike breaker and ex Brooklands New Imp rider?

kbryt

cast iron is self lubricating.

Many years ago an ex Brooklands chap, forget his name, but he lived at Ottershaw near Brooklands, told me the very best material for making valve guides was old pre war cast iron railings, being very close grained, well weathered with no scrap metal used in its making.

Just an anecdote.....Don't ask me where to get enough old railing though ::)

Davetom

Have a chat with Chris Odling. The last ones he did for me have lasted about 4000 miles so far and seen good as new. I oil them at the start of journeys but otherwise they are dry (26 Sv)

VicYouel

The club is planning to get some valve guides made for both ohv and sv machines. I am told that the favoured materials are either mehanite or SG iron.
The machines of this era often did not normally have any valve guide lubrication except by "mist" until the thirties and rumour has it that mehanite can wear very quickly in this enviroment unlike SGI

Would appreciate some advice on materials and also recommendations on a likely manufacturer for small quantities.
Thanks
Vic

Vic