alloy welding

Started by kbryt, July 01, 2018, 05:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbryt

Rick Parkington

No personal experience but here in the South East I have heard very good reports of Exactweld in East Grinstead 01342 311595. I thkn they do quite a bit of old bike work and have an understanding of distortion issues and the correct approach for differing alloys - high zinc content being an especial problem on some vintage bike cases (as I know to my cost!) althuogh Sunbeam cases look pretty good material compared to some. Certainly Exactweld made a good job of my friend Julie Diplock (of Elk Autojumble and show fame)'s Model X Matchless cases recently.
Cheers Rick 

kbryt

Thanks Vic, roger clarks name was passed onto me in a PM, so I'll be having  a word with him soon. Will also look into the other lead, thanks.

Its real bummer as I thought I'd at least get the bike back together for the autumn.

VicYouel

Ken
See also http://www.e-m-p.biz/laser-welding-2/  where they discuss low temerature rises etc
This looks an interesting company on the south coast. I got this from the VMCC forum where somebody has a cracked  crankcase on a veteran.
Vic

VicYouel

Morning Ken,
Have not had contact for a couple of years but Roger Clark in Reading tel 07803 477221 was an expert with ally. If your crankcase is  terminal then http://www.dialpatterns.co.uk/ have recast Sunbeam crankcases in the past......cannot imagine the cost though
Another good welder is Brian Pepper (ex Tyrell and Maclaren) in Cobham Surrey
01 932868531 or 01932 2501323  but again he may well have moved although I can recheck with a mate who uses him regularly.
Vic
PS I certainly would not post this sort of response on facebook! Good luck

kbryt

Looking for a recommended and experienced  alloy welder  to weld up the crack in my model 1 crankcase.

Having seen vintage era aluminum crumble like windscreen glass under the welders torch I am more than a little worried who to trust it to.

South of M4 or M4 corridor outside of M25 would be best for me.