[ KB ] SUNBEAM NUMBER VISIBILITY

Started by kelper99, March 01, 2011, 05:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

web-editor

Just an update on the book 'The Sunbeam Motorcycle'  by R C Champ. We have altered our Categories on the Spares List to include a separate section for Books and DVD's at the bottom of the Spares List, so this book is now Item No. P1 - 2.

web-editor

rakehill

thanks for the info the de.scription matches my model 2. Perhaps i am too hung up on the frame number but it was covered over when i bought it and i needed to strip the finish back to get to it and i desperatley wanted a banbury eligible bike.

phutton

The frame number A3nnn would indicate a 1929 Model 1 or 2, 2 having a more 'sporting' specification with a chainguard rather than full chaincase, blade mudguards and flat handlebars. The engine number H3nnn also indicates a 1929 M1 or 2. An A5nnn frame number would be 1930.

rakehill

Thanks for the information i have just uncovered the vin on the headstock of my 1929? model 2 but the first number after the suffix letter A is hard to make out as it is incomplete.The old and new log books have it as a 3 but it could be either 3 or 5 on the bike. Does anyone know what bike should an A3 or A5 relate to? The engine number is clear and is H3.

web-editor

The book, The Sunbeam Motorcycle, by Robert C Champ, mentioned by phutton above is available via the Club Spares Scheme here :-  http://www.marston-sunbeam.org/spares.html at Item S1-24 on the Spares Table at the bottom of the page.

phutton

One of the problems with Sunbeam numbers is that they changed the number system every 3 years or so. Many of the prefix numbers do not relate to the models, and are probably batch numbers. If you have a query on frame and engine numbers, Bob Champ's book is the best source of data. I can help by reference to the register and to a listing compiled in the 1950s which seems pretty good for models up to 1930. My contact details are elswhere on the site.

rakehill

Thank you for a good article, is there a listing of bike suffix letters/numbers by model and year.

kelper99

Article Name: SUNBEAM NUMBER VISIBILITY
Author: kelper99
De.scription: Thoughts from Robert C Champ

Category: Technical Articles
Type: Test Type 1

http://www.marston-sunbeam.org/technicalNotes/sunbeamNumbers.html]>>Read Full Article[/url]