Model 95L Ignition timing/valve clearances etc

Started by MarkO, November 18, 2017, 12:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

I use Penrite semi-fluid grease in my M95 box. I suspect SAE90 might be a bit thin and will leak more readily. Whatever you do, don't use an EP oil as when it leaks into the chaincase, your clutch won't grip!

Paul

MarkO

Hello Paul

Thanks for the info. I have timed it at 50 degrees now. I will see how it goes. Valve clearance info is v. useful and I will go with that.
One more question - is SAE90 GL3 spec oil OK for the  M95 gearbox?

Fingers crossed - the time is almost nigh!

Mark

phutton

Hi Mark,

According to the 1935 Manual, the M95 ignition timing should be 3/4" or 47.5 degrees BTDC. Bearing in mind that modern fuels have a slightly higher octane rating than those in 1935, this probably works ok - mine seems to!

Valve clearances for all the engines, inc M95, should be Inlet 0.004", exhaust 0.010 "

P.

MarkO

Graham/John

Thanks for your replies. Before I finally set the timing I managed to get hold of Chris Odling who recommended 50 degrees. It seems sensible because I have found that by setting it to 50 degrees, fully retarding the mag gives about 7 degrees BTDC. I will see how it runs. Thanks for the valve clearances, I will try them too.

As for the mag problem, I will just have to somehow make some custom spanners to do the job. I have just finished reading the biography of Burt Munro, of 'The World's fastest Indian' fame. My problems seem trivial after reading about his exploits!

Best regards

Mark Odlum

shorrog

Hi Mark
Removing the magneto bolts can be a pain but it is possible with a suitable ring spanner. The question has been asked before and there is a post with photos if you search for Magdyno and look at the post by Thomas it may help.
Graham

singleminded

My Sunbeam handbook states 5/8" or 50 deg for the model 90 but i would be cautious and go with the 46 deg you have suggested..My 9A is set at 9/16" or 43 deg and I find that with modern fuel it is a little advanced, it seems to run a little better with the retard lever a bit off full advance..Each engine will need adjustment to find what is best for it.
Inlet valve clearance according to the book is'The thickness of a cigarette paper' in reality almost nil, i adjust to about  2 thou on the inlet. exhaust is stated at 10 thou with the note that 'as much as 12 thou' on the model 90..john

MarkO

Hello all

The time is fast approaching to awaken my model 95L after a lengthy rebuild. I will not go into all the painful details here but in the main, it has been an enjoyable learning experience shared with a good friend who has done most of the hard work.

I need to know the static full-advance ignition timing. The only information I could find was for a Model 90 which was 5/8" to 3/4" BTDC. As we have already fitted the rocker box, we are not able to measure piston travel easily so I calculated the angle to be 46 degs BTDC. A figure that seems reasonable and easy to measure with a degree disk on the end of the mainshaft.

It would also help to know the cold valve clearances.

The magneto is another issue that I should have dealt with before reassembly. It is a seemingly healthy mag that can easily jump a 1/4" air gap - but it is a MO1L type which is not correct for the bike. More importantly, it has the pickup on the cylinder side which further complicates maintenance. Does anyone have any tips for removing the mag with the minimum of disassembly? It seems to be almost impossible to get at the mounting nuts under the platform and there is also a problem with clearance for the driveshaft without first taking off the timing case. Some maintenance tasks on old bikes are easy but some are fiendishly difficult. Mags always seem to fall into the latter category.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards

Mark Odlum