Telltale leak, washer size / position please. 1935 Model 8

Started by Exstress, September 27, 2017, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exstress

Thanks Dave,  I will try and get some correct size O rings.
Regards, John

Xr1000

Hi
I had a similar problem with my 31 longstroke. Remove any sealing washer that is still in the sleeve.  I have cured it by using 2 O-rings and a machined clearance steel washer. I used a O-ring to fit the piston rod and a larger one to fit the sleeve. I super glued the small one into the internal of the larger one. Push the seals down the sleeve, drop the washer down the sleeve and then when you re-fit the sleeve and piston the spring will hold it in place and seal the telltale hole.
Dave

singleminded

hi John.
I've just added some pics of the telltale in the gallery under general photos.The files are large so use the slide bars to see all the details..John

singleminded

I'll find time soon to post a pic of just the telltale assy..John

singleminded

the original washer went between the top of the spring and the sleeve that the whole lot sits in..ie  fit the spring on the plunger next fit the seal on the plunger and pop the whole lot into the sleeve and screw the sleeve into the pump..there was never a washer on the piston part of the plunger..the old seal may be in the sleeve and as hard as nails,you will need to remove the remains of it before fitting any new seals. John

Exstress

Thanks for the information, the photos don't show the position of the washers unfortunately. 

I will try the O ring and washer solution and keep my fingers crossed.

John

singleminded

look in the gallery on this site..Vic put some pics up a while ago.

phutton

Originally, the tell-tale was sealed with a leather washer, but these do disintegrate over time and can be replaced by an o-ring. It should be a nice sliding fit on the tell-tale spindle, and you will need a steel washer to trap it between the spring and the end of the housing. I am not aware of any drawings for this, although Vic Youel may have some pictures.

P.

Exstress

Hello,

I have recently brought a 1935 Model 8 twinport back to life.....  It's running nicely but the telltale plunger, although sticking out, is leaking oil at a fair rate when the engine is running.

I have taken out the plunger and spring but there is no washer present.  Is there a drawing anywhere showing the position and size of the washer or O ring that is missing?

Regards, John