Rack and seat

Started by Thomas, September 24, 2017, 12:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Thank you, Steve! That are important comments (more from others?). When discussing with a local tube bender I will ask him about the tube thicknesses. I simply have no feeling for it. I agree, the 135 degree bend will probably need some support (horizontal tubes between them?). The rack could get two additional supports at the mudguard right below the rack centre. There are two bolds which could do the job (see picture). Yes, the cautious approach is always the silver bullet, especially for this case. I don't want to loose my girl, indeed!
Again thank you and cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Greybeard

Hello, Tomas.
I tend to work to the old engineering/ship-building adage that if something looks right, then it probably is right. I think that using 12mm tube as you suggest would not be strong enough to take a pillion safely. The upright sections with the 135 degree bend, are in my opinion, likely to be a weak point. I would go for a 15-16mm tubing with an additional vertical section at the midpoint in addition to mountings onto the mudguard itself.
I may of course be tending towards the cautious approach, but it's not worth putting a pillion at risk. There's a large weight difference (say that quietly!) between a full picnic basket and the Missus  ;)
A pillion seat would of course be raised by the height of the rack too, which in itself might cause balance issues.

Steve
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

Thomas

Hi all! I think about building a rear rack out of steelfor my 1937 Model 9 to place a sprung pillion seat on it. Attached is a respective CAD. The tube diameters will be 12mm (not 10mm). It shows that the major support comes from the two single points on both sides although an additional bar will go to the mudguard so that tilt along driving direction is avoided. If that's fine I could change between pillion and transportation by simply connecting and disconnecting the pillion seat, not the whole mess altogether. I wonder if a rack out of 12mm tubes can manage a typical pillion load if the machine has no rear suspension. Is there a high risk that the rack breaks?
Cheers, Thomas

1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)