1921 Sunbeam Oil Pump

Started by Anji Mehra, July 04, 2016, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anji Mehra

Quote from: phutton on September 19, 2016, 06:36:28 PM
Hi Anji,

I am just about to go away for weeks holiday, but will check this out when I get back next week.

Regards

Paul
Hi Paul
Thanks & have a great holiday
Take care
Anji

phutton

Hi Anji,

I am just about to go away for weeks holiday, but will check this out when I get back next week.

Regards

Paul

Anji Mehra

Quote from: phutton on July 18, 2016, 04:13:57 PM
Hi Anji,

Attached are some pictures of the pre-1924 oil pump, and the bike it is on - If they don't work, I will send them in an e-mail. These pumps can be obtained, as very good replicas, from Mark Baker. You can contact him on: lawnranger210@aol.com. He is based near Birmingham and his telephone number is +44 1562 710366.

P.

Hi Paul
Been plodding along last 3 months trying to gather all the missing parts. Contacted Mark in Birmingham & he has 2 types of pump for that period. Quoting him "The bore diameter is 1"  length is 4 3/8" long under flange. Another is 1 1/4" diameter and 4" long." Which is the one I should opt for ?
Thanks
Anji

Anji Mehra

Quote from: singleminded on September 12, 2016, 06:20:58 PM
Rocking at top dead centre has always been ok if the timing is not known, this seems to work for most engines out there, it will work on Vincents.

Thanks John. Just confirming what I ssuspected,

singleminded

Rocking at top dead centre has always been ok if the timing is not known, this seems to work for most engines out there, it will work on Vincents.

Anji Mehra

Hi guys
Have finally located someone who is keen on making the tank. However, not still sure whether I should use the 1924 tank ( pics sent by Paul ) as a sample, or is the 21 tank different. Unable to find any info on this on the net. Any advice on this will be much appreciated.Also need the following info as starting getting it together
1) Details of front brake , as assembly missing
2) valve timing as no marks on gears. Is it symmetrical ie the valves are "dancing "at TDC
3) what should be the level of oil be in the crankcase prior to start up.
4) Any chances of picking up a original or period mag & carb ?

Thanks & will be picking your brains again
Anji

singleminded

If you look at the 1st photo that Paul posted you can see that the pump is held on a triangular fitting with three screws. If this is the type of pump Paul is saying that is available it won't fit the tanks that are on Ebay, i have found 3 types..John

Anji Mehra

Quote from: Anji Mehra on July 22, 2016, 02:29:36 PM
Quote from: singleminded on July 22, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
I have just looked again at the pictures Paul posted..From what i can see the tanks available from India do not have the correct pump mounting to match the pump in the photos.
I think a lot more information will have to be got before you can move on with your rebuild..John

Hi John
Attaching a photo of how the pump was attached when I got it. On the photo Paul sent , it is fixed on top of the oil filler on top of the tank
Anji

Fogot to attach the photo

Anji Mehra

Quote from: singleminded on July 22, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
I have just looked again at the pictures Paul posted..From what i can see the tanks available from India do not have the correct pump mounting to match the pump in the photos.
I think a lot more information will have to be got before you can move on with your rebuild..John

Hi John
Attaching a photo of how the pump was attached when I got it. On the photo Paul sent , it is fixed on top of the oil filler on top of the tank
Anji

singleminded

Anji Mehra

Quote from: singleminded on July 21, 2016, 09:48:25 AM
hi Anji..
I thought of the tank when i was talking to Paul at a rally recently.
I thought that if the pump is incorrect for your bike then the tank might also be wrong.
India seems to be the only place that is producing replica tanks at the moment for most bikes..John

Hi Singlemended
Thanks for feedback. Wonder if its possible to get the address / contact of the guy who made the tank. I know if a few guys making BSA & Norton tanks in Delhi. Unfortunately they all require a sample to copy of any tank that is not in regular production. Mine is unfortunately not even a decent copy. The makeshift oil pump was mounted on a bracket welded to the bottom of the tank & not screwed into the top as in the photos Paul sent
Take care
Anji

singleminded

hi Anji..
I thought of the tank when i was talking to Paul at a rally recently.
I thought that if the pump is incorrect for your bike then the tank might also be wrong.
India seems to be the only place that is producing replica tanks at the moment for most bikes..John

Anji Mehra

Anji Mehra

Quote from: phutton on July 18, 2016, 04:13:57 PM
Hi Anji,

Attached are some pictures of the pre-1924 oil pump, and the bike it is on - If they don't work, I will send them in an e-mail. These pumps can be obtained, as very good replicas, from Mark Baker. You can contact him on: lawnranger210@aol.com. He is based near Birmingham and his telephone number is +44 1562 710366.

P.

Hi Paul
Thanks a ton. Paul. You have been an absolute brick. Going to continue hassling you. Thanks for your email too.
Anji

phutton

Couldn't get the bike on - only 4 attachments allowed, so here it is.

P.

phutton

Hi Anji,

P.

Anji Mehra

Quote from: Anji Mehra on July 15, 2016, 07:59:17 AM
Quote from: phutton on July 05, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
Hi Anji,

The 1921 model did not have an engine-driven oil pump, just a hand pump. The front brake was the stirrup type operating on the wheel rim, just like a bicycle! The mounting lugs should be visible on your front fork.

P.

Hi Phil

Sorry for delay but net was down for a month. Have posted photos of the bike with existing non original pump mounted on LHS of tank. The bike came with no frontbrake. Thanks
Anji

Hi Paul

Sorry for misspelling your name.Anji

Anji Mehra

Quote from: phutton on July 05, 2016, 12:17:21 PM
Hi Anji,

The 1921 model did not have an engine-driven oil pump, just a hand pump. The front brake was the stirrup type operating on the wheel rim, just like a bicycle! The mounting lugs should be visible on your front fork.

P.

Hi Phil

Sorry for delay but net was down for a month. Have posted photos of the bike with existing non original pump mounted on LHS of tank. The bike came with no frontbrake. Thanks
Anji

Anji Mehra

Quote from: shorrog on July 04, 2016, 09:51:15 AM
Hi Anji
Can you post a photograph of the right hand side of your engine. This may help folks identify if it indeed had a mechanical driven oil pump
Graham

Hi Graham
Sorry for this delay but my net was down for almost a month. It definitely has a hand pump, but the original is missing & theres a home made one on this m/c. Am attaching a photo. Just need a photo/ picture of what the original looked like & where it could be found. Thanks
Anji

phutton

Hi Anji,

P.

shorrog

Hi Anji
Can you post a photograph of the right hand side of your engine. This may help folks identify if it indeed had a mechanical driven oil pump
Graham

Anji Mehra

Hi
Can someone please help by sending me a photo or drawing of the oil pump fitted on the 1921 Sunbeam, 3.5 hp. My bike is missing this & I haven't a clue of how this fits on draws oil from the tank.
Did this model come without a front brake ?
Thanks
Anji