Screw sets

Started by davidw, January 04, 2016, 05:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VicYouel

I had a whole box full made many years ago and still have some left of different lengths; about 40 are needed per bike. 

Suggested to Les that the club get some made but he was not keen.

Did spot some on Barleycorn's stand at the last Kempton.

Did mention all this in a recent "southern region notes" and helped a couple of people but only have enough left for my next project.

shorrog

HI, If your crankcase is anything like mine you may well find a few threads have been stripped over the years. I am just about to repair the stripped ones using Vcoils (similar to Helicoils) from www.shop4fasteners.co.uk. They do a neat kit with tool for £31.00 and 20 inserts.
Graham

iansoady

I've done the same for the timing cover on my Model 10.

I tried for ages to get fillister heads. The only people who listed them were, I think, Silent Stainless who do Velo stuff but they had no prospect of having any in stock.

Close your eyes purists, but 3/16 (10-24) UNC is almost the same as BSW although different flank angles......

phutton

These screws are 3/16 BSW fillister head. I can't remember the length, but I suspect they are 3/4". Unfortunately, these are just about impossible to obtain. I got around it by buying stainless cheese heads and machined the dome on to them - it worked well. If you haven't got a lathe, any competent machine shop will do them for you for very little money.

Paul

davidw

Can anyone give me the code for the external screw sets used in the primary case and oil pumps on a 31 Model 9

Looking for shank size thread type and gauge which i have seen listed somewhere on the site but cannot refind

Many thanks all

David