Gearbox Oil

Started by sunmanpoppe, March 24, 2011, 12:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lagonda man

Well, I am still not quite there yet.  I did what I said in my last post and I now have 250 ml of Morris 140 oil in, but it escapes I think through the output shaft bearing when on the move and then gets all over the rear tyre.  An owner told me this is not a sealed bearing.  Before I have it all out and strip it down and try to find a sealed bearing the right size, I will try a slightly lower level and maybe mix in some liquid grease.  The same source (met at the VMCC training day but I forget his name - Brian something) said that just grease is not good for that bearing.  Any further ideas gratefully received.  Anyway I am enjoying riding my new toy and everything else is working very well.

j hood

If it leaks, a nice new leather washer and tighten it nicely should cure it..john

VicYouel

Suddenly this site has sprung alive and what useful info! I was about to add Castrol spherol to my 1933 model 9 rebuilt gearbox; will look out for some 140 at Stafford tomorrow.

I bet I get a leak from the selector shaft.

Vic

Lagonda man

The nipple is off centre and crooked in the (probably original) cap so not a factory job! It came from a dealer and he probably went round all the nipples with a grease gun, so there is no telling what else is in the 'box without dismantling.  Found a bolt to plug it and until I am ready to look inside I reckon to put some engine oil in, get it warmed up (good excuse for another short ride), drain it and then put in the proper quantity of the proper stuff.

Thanks for the quick response.  Ken

phutton

You are in the right place! The filler tube should have a screwed plug in it - not a grease nipple! If you can see grease in the tube, then it is probable that the grease is too thick. It might be worth poking a wire down the tube to see what the lubricant at the bottom is like. If it is like general bearing grease, then you will need to get something thinner inside - a 50sae oil would probably do the trick, but to be sure you need to take the end-cover off the 'box and check it out properly. You could then replace the lubricant with the correct viscosity as per the earlier posts.

Lagonda man

Same topic - new question!  Where is the oil filler?
I have just acquired a 1928 Model 6 in roadworthy condition and am trying to learn my way around it without too much dismantling (if it ain't broke don't fix it).  The manual describes the oil filler as an aluminium tube with a knurled cap.  I have a vertical 5/8 in tube just inside the output sprocket with a grease nipple on the top and grease inside.  So this looks like a greaser for the output shaft bearing.  But is it the oil filler that some past owner has put a nipple on?  Any ideas?
By the way it is a lovely ride.  I have had modern bikes and ancient cars but this is my first ancient bike and I feel I have chosen well!

j hood

I use AG140 in the gearbox on my  1932 9A, filled to the level hole. This works well although in very cold weather the gearchanges are a bit slow till the box warms up a bit. Johnvh73)2

sunmanpoppe

Thanks Phutton. Just did a bit of maths and worked out that 8 fluid ounces is 227 ml. so I was guessing on the safe side. Probably not too critical. Never really liked semi fluid grease, difficult to drain and fill etc. and I believe modern lubes are far superior providing you stay away from EP oils, as you say ( yellow metal compatabilty and all that).

phutton

The manual I have suggests, for the 1928-on 3-speed box, approximately 8 ounces of semi fluid grease (Castrol S as it was then). I have used Penrite semi-fluid grease which appears OK.

Whatever you do, don't use an EP oil. I did this once and it leaked onto the clutch plates, performing exactly as designed - lots of slip!

sunmanpoppe

Tis 1930 on druid forks so its the wide case 3 speed box. I`ve used Lucas oil HD Stabiliser on other bikes with some success. It is a very high quality thick and gloopy lube and I will report once i`ve ridden the machine, which could be this weekend with any luck.

phutton

What year is your M9?

sunmanpoppe

Hi everyone on the forum!
It took me 7 years to restore a basket case Mod 9 and I had a successfull season in 2010 with a successful and enjoyable Banbury, several other events plus local rides about 400 miles in all.
I decided, in the absence of any knowledge, to use Morris`s AG 140 in the gearbox and all was sweetness and light,  using 250 ml seemed about right, enough to let the layshaft dip in but below the level of the bearings. Just drained the box this afternoon and miraculously 250 ml came out!! Refilled with a 50/50 mix of AG140 and Lucas HD oilstabiliser Which I happened to have handy. ( Checkout the Lucas oils website ).
Any comments on the quantity, the grade or anything gearbox lube related?