Exhaust system for a '33 Model 8?

Started by Fergus, April 10, 2016, 08:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fergus

Many thanks for your replies.  I am actually getting the information together for someone who is looking at buying my Model 8 project.....currently advertised in OBM.  I Had put it up for sale on this site some time ago, but no takers except from endless scammers!  But if anyone in here is interested in taking it over, do let me know....the exhaust system is the only significant bit missing and the expensive bits have already been restored, including the engine, wheels, girders, maggy, etc.  Just needs someone who knows their way round Sunbeams.  Cheers, Ferg

phutton

The Model 8 and Model 9 pipes for 1933 have different part numbers in the Spares List, which suggests they are not fully interchangeable. They may, however, be close enough to adapt, but you will need to check that - sorry I can't be more exact. The 1933 and 35 M8 pipes are the same part numbers.  Are you a member of the M8 MIG? If not you could join and get in touch with other MSC&R owners of M8s who may be able to help.

VicYouel

I only have experience with model 9's but without checking the parts list I would guess that the cylinderheads for model 8 twin ports take a similar pipe. The Armours pipes never fitted my 1932/5 model 9's so I had some specially made by http://www.technicaltubes.com/  both recently and 30 years ago when they supplied Armours still using the same bending machine. They were bent to an original pattern (which I still have in my shed).

The Armours stock and source were (I think) taken over by Britsh Bikes Austria. Our club has pipes made for 1931 model 9's and they are different and will not fit my bikes.  I have deposited one set of my pattern with Les Hobbs and they are for sale.  you are welcome to borrow my original rusty set. Armours still do a very nice silencer.

Fergus

Armours used to supply downpipes (it is twin port), but no more they say.  Anyone know who keeps these as stock items?  Cheers.