A grand morning out!

Started by iansoady, March 16, 2016, 10:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

looks like one very nice Bullnose 90 to me great opportunity to ride one.

iansoady

A chilly start as I got the Honda out of the garage and set out to the NMM for their first "Ride a Bike" day. I was expecting to see a few bread-and-butter machines but imagine my surprise when I saw being wheeled out, amongst others, a SS100 Brough Superior (apparently George Brough's own machine) and a Vincent twin as well as a Sunbeam Model 9 (I think).

There was a short course laid out around the car park - sadly not enough to get out of first gear but enough to get a feel for the bikes. James Hewing and other museum staff were on hand to help explain the mysteries (to some) of manual advance and retard etc and to start the bikes for the first time.

My first shot was on the Vincent twin. TBH I hated it as the steering was heavy, the riding position (to me) weird and I didn't feel comfortable. The Brough was amazing but was very reluctant to turn into the tighter bends. I got off it with even more respect for a certain Aircraftsman Shaw although It wasn't really in its element today.

My favourite was the 1928 Sunbeam which made me eager (and much more confident) to get on the Model 10. A 500 BSA twin was charming; a single speed belt drive clutchless New Comet endearing; a Grand Prix Triumph loud and stimulating; a JP Norton (not running well) a wild contrast. All the bikes were well worth trying.

Part of the lineup:

The Bruffsup:

The Velo, New Comet (I think), Ariel and BSA:

Some pictures of me aboard various machines including the Brough from the Classic MotorCycle's photographer:

http://www.garydchapman.co.uk/soady

I can't think of a better £5 worth!